Some advice please CCNA?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Muso, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hey guys

I've been using the forum on an off. Basically I have a degree in comp sci and have done self study to pass both the A+ and the N+. Anyway I'm now working in telecomms voip stuff, whilst this is quite interesting I am wanting to be more proficient in networking as all the kit is Cisco, so basically I'm thinking about the CCNA. How tough is the CCNA in comparison to the A+, N+? I have very little knowledge about this kind of thing, I mean do I need lots of physical hands on experience for this? My thinking is telecomms is ok but if you know the networking stuff you will be alot more valuable, and I already know a bit so why not?

Any information regarding the CCNA would be great, or even if you can just point me to some web sites. I'm pretty keen on not paying lots of money and going on a course, I'd rather self study if possible.

Cheers

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congrats on passing the A+ and N+ certs. In reference to the CCNA I recommend you get the Cisco press book by Wendoll and if possible a cisco switch and router from EBay on the cheap to get hands on practice.

There is also a useful booklet by cisco on the commands used when configuring a router or switch etc which would also come in handed. Lastly, there is also the Bosom NetSim that is very commendable too:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The CCNA is *much* tougher than the A+ and Network+.

I'd recommend that you get hands-on experience before pursuing it... you'll be expected to be very familiar with the command-line IOS.

Cisco is also releasing another CCNA track, the CCNA Voice. Might be up your alley if you can get some VoIP experience. It requires the CCNA as a prerequisite.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hi

So which book is the best then? I realise its two exams, is it multiple choice? are there any practical tests etc? I am actually working with Cisco kit at the moment and I have the ability to use it whenever. I'm not interested in doing the CCNA voice exam as I'm looking for a pure networking course, I'm currently working with Mitel kit.

If there is one book which you could reccomend, ideally from someone who has done the CCNA. I appreciate you say the CCNA is much tougher, but surely its just gonna be more of the same just a lot more stuff to memorise.

Thanks

5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi, im doing the CCNA at present, well im doing CCENT first then CCNA, the CCENT gets you very familiar with the IOS and gets you up to speed from a small network perspective, while what ive seen of the CCNA goes a lot deeper.

Personally I would (and did) do the Network+ first, as it is a good grounding for Cisco, I mean some people would recommend diving into the cisco certs, and while different approaches work for different people, I would say, that for me, having done network+ (admittedly ive been working in IT foir nearly 10 years so picked a lot up that way), it has made the CCENT networking theory a lot easier, meaning i could focus my efforts more on memorising a lot of the commands, while at the same time NOT having to find out what they do.

It seems a lot less stressful, and i think a steady pace of progression in the long run will be better.

Also I would keep an eye on who progresses through the company you are working for, if they are CCNA qualified then that gives you motivation, but also bear in mind how much of there stuff they know, and also beware as IT is complicated field and one F*** up will end your job, so try not to get in too much over your head.

best of luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

ive been reading the wendell ccent/ccna and now about half way through. i've noticed the N+ covers more general networking fundementals and covers more of the OSI where as the ccna covers TCP more. i'd reccommend getting a switch and router too as you'll need to get practice configuring them and hands on is the best way.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For books, I prefer Cisco Press and Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!