Some advice on my self study please

Discussion in 'A+' started by thelonegunman, Aug 20, 2009.

1. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

I have just recently started my self study using the MM AiO along with internet reserch too. however as i am at work all day and have a 15 month old baby, i can only do about 2 hours a night study.
    The second chapter in the MM AiO is about processors and although i have built many PC for people and updraded a few too, i have never come accross some of the older processors in the chapter.
    i know of them, but never know of there specs ect, so my question is how much info of these old processors should i know? is there alot coverd in the exams about pre pentium 4 processors? of corse i would eventualy like to know all there is to know about processors of yester year, but should i focus alot of time memorizing the internal, exsternal, multipliers, manufacturing process ect.. on pre XP athlons and pre P4 processors?

thanks guys

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's such a common question it should be in an FAQ somewhere. I remember asking the very same thing a few months ago.

Basically, understand how processors work and the various ways they've been made faster (pipelining, caching etc). You don't need to do much more than that.
    You may get a question on sockets/slots or other easily-googled-but-hard-to-memorise info but, if you do, I doubt you'll get more than one. The extra time and effort to learn all that shizzle is just not worth the potential marks.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. ManniX

ManniX Bit Poster

You'll find a lot of this throughout the book, old technologies where the concepts are important and quite a few tables dotted about the book which look like they ideally need to be memorised. Usually the book points out the important ones that you should learn.

The way I'm doing it is not making too much of a fuss about every single detail, making sure I understand the concepts fully and then when I have finished the book completly I plan to encompass the hard memorising of facts and figures into my pre-exam revision so that they are fresh in my head for the exams.

For processors I'd at least get the sockets nailed if nothing else.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+.. I guess?