Some advice needed please

Discussion in 'A+' started by ddave, Dec 25, 2006.

1. ddave

ddave New Member

Hello and happy xmas .

I have been studying the A+ for a few months now and i think im doing OK .

I do struggle though on o/s systems that i dont have access to - its ok doing the theory but you cant beat actually using different o/s's to find out how they work .

So i have been looking at a way round this problem and have been looking at VM's ( the one i was looking at is parallels workshop V2.2 ) Could someone please help me with some basic advice on virtual machines - i have never used them so it is all a little confusing to me - i have looked on the virtual computing forum but it is all new to me so its not sinking in on how to use a VM .

Thanks - dave

Certifications: ECDL A+
    WIP: 70-270 MCSE sec +
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A VM application simply enables you to create a "computer inside of a computer". It takes a section of hard drive space and uses it as if it were in it's own computer. You simply tell the VM how much drive space to use, how much memory to "borrow" from the host OS, and how much of the CPU to use. The VM app will create a blank, formatted "computer" that you can use in a VM window. The VM will look just like what you would see if you had formatted a hard disk on a "real" computer.

A VM application won't magically give you access to those OSes that you don't have access to. You still have to install the OS on the VM, just as if you were installing the OS on a "real" computer.

I've never used Parallels Workshop. Most of us use VMWare or Virtual PC.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. ddave

ddave New Member

Thanks for the reply - that gives me a bit more info . So , as i understand these VM progs do not come with o/s's in them - is that correct . So i would still have to go out and get hold of the o/s's i have not got .

dave

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That is correct. The VM systems are 'merely' very clever containers. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dave,

You could always look out in the *yellow paper*, local paper For Sale Section and car boot sales for older machines that already have an older OS such as 98 and 2000 on. They usually go quite cheap.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. ddave

ddave New Member

Hi Boyce & Harry - yeh , that was my other option . Im quite happy to try to get hold of other machines with the o/s's i need .

Cos im new to IT i just didnt know much about VM's - i thought they came pre-loaded with the o/s's , but thanks to you guys im getting there .

Im still gonna get a VM and play with it - cos thats the best way for me to learn these things .

Dave

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Dave,

I am not trying to put you off using VM's mate - they are very useful.

You can get Microsoft's Virtual for Gratis here by the way.

A+ is very much *hands on* and the idea of the course is for desktop or field based engineers to certify their knowledge.

You don't say which Objectives you are going for, but I would try and get as much *real* experience as you can by breaking and fixing general desktop hardware and OS faults.

When I say break, I mean see for yourself what happens when you try and boot a machine with no hard drive connected, the BIOS battery has been diconnected or the boot.ini file has been medled with.

Not only will this approach help you learn the topics, but gain marks on the exam.

Good luck :thumbleft

Si

8. ddave

ddave New Member

Thanks Boyce - no u didnt put me off at all . I agree totally with what your saying - i can read the books till im blue in the face but what i reallly need is the hands on stuff . I already have 2 old pc's here to mess with - the poor things are dead now :cry: - but maybe one day they will be resurected :p .

Im eventually goin for security + via A+ , MCSA & MCSE ( i think thats the way im goin anyway :blink )

The biggest problems i have are beer and women - they keep getting in the way of my study .

Thanks for all the help

dave

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ah ha! Many of us have the same problem! :)

Good luck with your studies :thumbleft

Si