Some advice and help for my 70-431 needed!

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Gopher, May 13, 2008.

1. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

Hi All

This is my first posing here and I am hoping it will be the first of many.

I am currently preparing for SQL MCTS (70-431) Exam which I am due to take in the next few weeks - or sooner if I start to feel confident. What I a looking for is some advice and how best to prepare.

I work with SQL 2000 & 2005 in a SAP Environment daily so I know my way around SSMS, but I don't use all the technologies available. So hopefully I am worrying over nothing!

I have been preparing for this over the last 2 weeks buy using various sites SimpleTalk and Books Online, I have also invested in a copy an MCTS Study Guide (Osborne) and a Microsoft Official Course 2779A (Implementing a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Database).

So you know what I have done, so does anyone have any advice or pointer which can help me and hopefully calm my nerves :unsure

Thanks in Advance

Gopher

Certifications: MCP, MCSA & MCTS SQL 2005
    WIP: MCITP 70-443 & 70-444
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Get as much hands-on practice as you can... you'll definitely need it for this exam. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

Thanks, I am doing my best. I am trying to implement new things at hoe and at work which is paying off.

Just want to make sure I am doing the right things!

4. zardoz

zardoz Bit Poster

Make sure you understand the new technologies introduced in 2005 e.g Service Broker, XML support, CLR integration etc and also security, creating and administering jobs etc. Get plenty of hands on as well as reading.

The exam will not (sadly) ask you all about writing SQL statements (although you might get the odd question on this), it is very heavily biased towards the new features and how to accomplish certain tasks via SSMS (which is quite different in layout/functionality to Enterprise Manager)

I used the Sybex book for this exam and passed first time, having a similar background to you. I worked through the book doing all the practical exercises and going through all the practice questions several times. IMHO these books are far better than the Microsoft ones.

Certifications: MCITP Sql Server 2005 (Developer)
    WIP: MCTS .Net
  5. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

Thanks that great - it really helps!

I am just trying to fill in all of the gaps in my knowledge and look at these new features and apply them to real life scenarios (helps me learn and understand!). I have been looking for websites which provide good explanations as there are a few areas where I am not so confident e.g. XML inc SOAP integration, Service Broker, Endpoints etc. There are a few just seems to depend on what you want to know.

Thanks again for your help Zardoz