Software to create flowcharts

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by michael78, Mar 13, 2006.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys what software can I use to create flowcharts simply and professionally. Am I right in thinking that Microsoft Visio is the Microsoft app that creats flowcharts?

Cheers

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I always thought Visio were for Technical or engineering drawings...

I guess it will depend how professional you want to be...

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Microsoft seems to think that either Visio or Powerpoint will do this. An article here .

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah visio is great for them! I know simon has the site address to a open source version of visio - but i cant seem to find it right now sorry, im sure he will be here soon though! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. michael78

Cheers guys thought that was the case. I think I'll recommend rfflow to buy as it's easy to use and cheap. Thanks for the input guys...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Dia 8)

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I tried Dia a couple of years ago, and while the promise was there it seemed to be miles behind Visio in functionality. Has this materialy changed recently?

Then I was mostly using it for ER diagrams, and in the end I switched to Visio.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't know if it's changed, but for general use it's pretty good, esp as it's free!

If you were looking to be using it professionally then Visio is definately the better option.

8)

9. michael78

Cheers for that Simon, I've downloaded it and it all looks good for what the user wants (Just a simple flowchart). Someone told me that Project does flowcharts does anyone know if this is the case?

10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If all you want is flow charts take a look at Freemind. It's pretty good at that, imo.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. Ogg

Ogg New Member

Hi Slypie
    I got both Visio and Project Pro 2003 and project does do flow charts, but Visio is simpler to use than project, I would recomend Visio as I use it whenever the need arises for a flow chart :biggrin

WIP: A+ N+ CCNA CCNP
  12. michael78

Cheers guys it was for one of the directors at work. I've downloaded Dia and it's actually pretty good. I have Visio at home but have never used it and didn't know what it was for...:oops: