Software Programmer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by vivek_master146, Dec 12, 2008.

1. vivek_master146

vivek_master146 Bit Poster

Is there any programmer here who is A+ Certified?

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I highly doubt it. I started A+ when I wanted to get into IT, but now that I'm a softie, Its totally irrelevant to my job.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Didn't have you pegged as a softie m8 ! :p

softies.jpg

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm not A+ certified though I expect I could pass it in fairly short order if I wanted too. Most good programmers learn about Operating Systems in detail as well as Systems Architecture. The support and technician aspects are less relevant to your average programmer.

So in essence I think 70% of the A+ is good knowledge to have for a programmer but certification itself is not essential.

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes - me.

Why?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

And me.

But I gave up software developerment in 2001 (only really a hobby now) after working for a software house that produced database systems.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. vivek_master146

Most people suggest that if I want to become Programmer in .Net then i should concentrate on it rather than any other hardware cerification like A+. Though I dont like to have A+ Certificate but i just want to gain basic knowledge in hardware(assembling) and Window OS like Registry,file managament, Boot file, virus trobleshooting etc.

IS THERE ANY GOOD BOOK ON WINDOW XP? Does A+ cover these topics?

I dont want to study basic XP feature. I want to study it in depth.

8. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I used to be a programmer quite a few years ago (C/C++) and have also passed the A+/N+/CCNA certs.

The knowledge you gain whilst studying A+ is invaluable, and the cert shows you've put time and effort into acquiring this knowledge.

BUT you have to decide where you want to go in your career, because there is so much to learn to become a good software developer, and many relevant certs to study for in that field alone, that it might not be worth spending your time gaining A+.

You can always buy some A+ & PC Maintenance books and experiment with PC's to learn about how they and OS's such as XP work. But actually taking the A+ exam may not be worth the time invested if you need to subsequently go through the steep learning curve to become a .Net developer.

And also if you are going into software development, complementary skills in such areas as database design/programming and web design/web application development are probably much more relevant than a cert like A+, which is designed for computer technicians and support personnel.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  9. vivek_master146

Thanks very much for your reply. Actually my aim is to become Window and Web Application Developer using Asp.net,C# and ADO.NET etc. I just want to gain knowledge about basics of hardware and WINDOW XP in depth.(Troubleshooting virus problem etc). Its my hobby.

Most of the common people ask for these kinds of problem. For ex:- My PC is not booting, My PC runs slowly, Which is the best PC congfig. etc etc.

So my A+ knowledge will help me in answering those queries. Though I will not waste my money in A+ exam but i am just going to take hardware training of 2 months from a good institute. They are charging around US $ 170( 7800 in INR).

I will also buy Mike Meyer's ALL-IN-ONE GUIDE BOOK.

Does this book cover OS in depth?

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The A+ is vendor neutral and while it does cover the MS OS to some extent, it doesn't go that deep into it (being vendor neutral & not version specific and all). Now if it's your hobby and want indepth knowledge; do the A+ to cover the hardware side and something like the MCDST which is Operating System specific.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It really depends how deep you want to go into OS internals or general administration, for windows theres the 70-660 and the well known MCSE/MCITP.

As a programmer you'd probably be more interested in the former.

Theres linux LPI certs cover most of the linux OS, however people that routinely create kernel patches are probably not busy taking cert exams...

These are all more advanced certs so you would be expected to know the content of the A+ and have years of experience before you took them, thats why people mention the A+ as a starting point.

The reality is that most people don't take certs to learn operating systems and hardware, they might take a Comp Sci or Electronics degree, then they get out there and get their hands dirty...

12. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Meyers only covers the Windows family of OS's as far as required for A+ (I speak of the 5th edition which I used for A+ in 2006), ie. probably not 'in depth', but sufficient for basic troubleshooting, maintenance, and optimization of these OS's. There are also MCDST and MCTS exams for XP and Vista, eg 70-271/70-272 for MCDST, and 70-620 for Vista, which go into more depth. For Windows Server 2003, there are the exams 70-290/291, 70-620 (Vista), 70-270 (XP) which lead towards MCSA/MCSE (and passing any one of the 70-290/291/270 exams gives you the MCP certificate).

For info on all the Microsoft certs see :-
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/bb291022.aspx

Eg. under MCTS you'll see the .Net related certs, where they have specific certs for web application development (MCTS/MCPD).

For PC hardware I can recommend Scott Mueller's 'Upgrading and Repairing PCs' - now in 18th edition. If you like hardware you'll like this book. It is one of these rare books that is highly detailed yet very readable. It has things like extensive lists of specifications of chipsets and CPU's that are very useful when working on PC's. Its not targeted at any cert but better than a cert book in my view - a must have for anybody who is really interested in PC's.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  13. vivek_master146

:cry: Oh!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to go for any MCDST certification as i want to become application programmer. I want to save money for my further study. I just want to buy a book and study it at home. Can you recommend some good book on Window XP? I have seen lots of books in Amazon.

I think there is also a good book on Registry by Microsoft Press.

Registry editing is very helpful in removing Virus Problems. Am I Right ?

14. vivek_master146

Any other programmer here?

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

get the MCDST press books to learn about XP and the registry.

I am not a programmer but have the A+ and it doesn't go into the detail that you want although it could hurt to get the cert but it isn't relevant to what you want to do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. vivek_master146

But will A+ give me sufficient knowledge related to newer technologies like infrared,bluetooth and function of each hardware parts.?

17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes, the Mike Meyers AIO 6th edition will teach you how bluetooth and infared works and their relevant speeds and also goes into how hard drives work and various other pieces of hardware.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. Kitkatninja

You don't have to go for the MCDST, but use the books that one would study for the MCDST, I dunno, maybe something like the Sybex MCDST book :rolleyes:

Sometimes, however if you do something wrong in the registry you may find that the PC won't boot at all. A good anti-virus & spy-ware/mal-ware program also works a treat.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  19. Kitkatninja

Along with the A+ study material, if you want to keep your knowledge more up todate (the A+ is updated approx every 3 years) on this sort of technology, you may also want to check out the materials (because I know you don't want to take the exams) for the Wireless# exam offered by CWNP. This exam (hence the materials) are updated more frequently and primarily deal with infrared, bluetooth & wireless technologies.

-Ken

20. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Some of it - but A+ isn't a detailed exam about the whole industry. It is more of an overview.

If you want to know about specific technologies the best way is to do your own research - buy books and read articles. If the devices are sufficiently cheap - buy one to get hands-on experience.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+