software packaging

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zainek, May 8, 2010.

1. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

im thinking about picking up software packaging or attempting to learn it.
    What toolsets/apps/etc do you use for this ?

whats the best way to learn it too

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Wise Package Studio.

Admin Studio.

Advanced Installer

Are just a few to mention.

As far as packaging goes, it really is a niche area, not something I would do at all, I find it boring and way too complex. It's also not something you can pick up over night.

Do a search with regards to MSI and Windows Installer technologies on Google or Technet and that should give you a load of information as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

App V or Softgrid in old money. Package once and never install software onto another PC again, except for the client.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

True but that requires that you have Software Assurance and really isn't classed as 'Packaging', more software delivery.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

my god.

thats nasty.

played with install shield 2008 premier edt.

cant even find any tutorials for it.

6. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

looks great i like it, just trying to get my mits on it at the moment,

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

My bad, I keep forgetting that working in a school this stuff is dirt cheap. Still App V still works in off-line mode so delivery or package the end user stil gets the software they require when they need it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm learning this as well, it's niche and very good money (£300-400/day). Just do a search in jobserve for APP-V, MSI packaging

I'm finding that it's best to know MSI packaging and App-V. Not every app your customer wants to have deployed can be sequenced over App-V so some will have to be packaged as MSIs.

We have a scenario here where if an app can be sequenced over APP-V it will

If not it gets installed locally as an MSI package

If it doesn't run on Windows 7 it's delivered over terminal services.

To get fully into app deployment I'm focusing on App-V, MSI packaging (Installshield, Wise) and SCCM (plus alternatives like radia, altiris, marimba).

It's also good to learn a bit about individual user customisation. We're using Appsense for run time customisation. Also there are compatibility tools you can use to quickly determine if an app can go over App-V or has to be MSI'd, it's compatibility with Windows 7/Vista etc. We use DNA Apptitude for this

To help it's good to understand the whole big picture of deploying apps:

1. Does it install on the target OS build (install the build on VMware then the app and test if it works by creating and following a test plan)
    2. If so what changes does the app make? (registry entries, installed files/folders, environment variables)
    3. Does it have dependencies and/or prerequisites? (drive mappings, dongles, .NET framework, java runtime etc)
    4. Can it be sequenced over App-V? (Use something like DNA Apptitude in the first instance here)
    5. If not can it be packaged as an MSI?
    6. Does it have runtime dependencies (temporary drive mappings/reg entries/environment variables/ODBC connections etc)?

There is quite a big picture for deploying apps, you can be an expert in APP-V, MSI packaging, SCCM (radia/altiris), Appsense.

I've been unable to find any difinitive app packaging training path or certification so my traiing plan is:

Learn MSI packaging, download VMware server (free), get a trial version of Installshield and follow the tutorials. package as many apps as you can, ranging from easy ones to the real b'stard ones.

Learn APP-V and get a cert (I'm going for 70-669)

Learn and get a cert in SCCM - (looking at 70-401)

Learn a bit of appsense/powershell/XML and other stuff that helps.

It's a very niche area but the money is very good. Here's a forum dedicated just to packaging and app deployment:

http://www.appdeploy.com/

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging