Software for Scanning documents?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Enigma101, May 16, 2010.

1. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

I have decided to clear out the crap i have collected over the years and attempt to go minamalist with my "Stuff" i am amazed how much rubbish i have collected and i only live on my own.

want to convert my most of my cd collection and paperwork into electronic format to start with

Cleared out 3 large files of paperwork and binned or burnt most of it, any other docs that i dont need a hard copy of i want to scan into the computer and store into pdf format.
    I have a HP 1350 all in one printer/scanner maybe this is up to the job?
    Can anyone recommend software to convert my docs, must be free or fairly cheap! :)

Thanks
    Gavin

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When you say software what exactly do you mean?

Windows itself has the ability to scan and store documents, although it does store them as JPG's rather than PDF's.

8)

3. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Hi Simon,
    It need to be able to scan and store in a high quality format easy to read format such as PDF, a normal scanned doc stores as a large JPEG as you say.

My HP 1317 spec:

Scan method: Flatbed CIS (contact image sensor)Image editor includedIntegrated OCR (optical character recognition) packageTwain complaint interfaceResolution: 600 by 2400 ppi maximum (19200 ppi)Bit depth: 36 bits color, 12 bits grayscale

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Scan it as a jpeg, open Word, inset the image on a document then save as pdf.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Surely the software that came with the scanner can do that for you? Even my very old Canon Lide 60 can do that.

**Edit**, have you had a look at the software here as that appears to be the scanner in question and it's on the HP website.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Thanks Simon, the hp software does the job...somewhat clunky though :)