software firewall on server 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wassup, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

any recommendations?

I was thinking of Look'n'Stop h**p://www.looknstop.com/En/index2.htm

It is for a small business, to be running w2k3 server with a domain, with a couple of desktops and 2 or 3 laptops, but that shouldn't really matter , should it?

I was going to suggest a hardware firewall, (not just the one in the modem/router) like a D-Link DFL700, but I think that route proves quite pricey.

Any other ideas would be muchly appreciated
    tia

2. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

We and a number of other small-med buisnesses use Checkpoint - very complex at first glance, I struggle to find my way around it, but the other guys in the team who are more experienced swear by it.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Checkpoint stuff is great but pricey.

Can the server not be speced with SBS and then run ISA firewall? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

mmm, this I don't know, I s'pose it could be
    I have to investigate more ... thanks for the reply

more ideas welcome

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How is the 'network' going to connect to the internet? If you don't need advance features then I would suggest using the firewall on the router (assuming its going to be an ADSL connection) and just have it supplemented by the builtin Windows Firewall.

6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

thanks for the reply simon,
    yeh that's pretty much what I was thinking of doing, using the router firewall and then look'n'stop , don't really trust the windows firewall all that much, in fact I disable it on every install I do!

having looked (albeit briefly) into SBS and ISA , thats stretching me a bit for now.. definitely something for the future tho'

thanks guys