Software Development and Testing

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mr.Cheeks, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

at this moment, im on 1st and 2nd line support (it depends on which application i need to support), and been enjoying this job for some time, although, without being big-headed, i run out of work quite quickly, as the calls are to me, easy... ...however, today i was told by my line manager's line manager that i will be seconded till end of the year to another dept, which i will be testing and help develop certain software (software in-house).

i mean the location is closer to home, like 10 min drive, but i enjoy it here, (im on CF all bloody day), but what the hell does software development and testing involve...

i know what description i have given you is vague but any ideas would be most appreciated... :rolleyes:

2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey cheek,

Testing is an integral part of software development. You need to be thorough, logical, and analytical and you are employed to break things (so to speak).

You basically have to test all aspects of the application and then report back to the developers with your findings. Usually bugs and errors etc.

It can be quite monotonous at times and there's usually a lot of report writing.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Hi - I've done some Alpha and Beta testing of some Microsoft products. Is that the same? Buggered if I know. Anyway, I really enjoyed the experience even if it was very frustrating at times. Go for it, and enjoy it :D . It all adds to your experience, and that can only be a good thing. I have to admit to a bit of a 'feel good' factor that resulted from suggestions being implemented. Sad that I am, I also got a buzz from discovering problems/issues within software. Regards.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Blimey!

Looks like Mr Cheeks is going to be a busy man...

Started my additional role today, i will be learning how to do Data Migration, data could be from various sources like Access, Excel, notepad, and exporting them to possibily SQL, although "they" are not 100% sure yet. :rolleyes:

Testing software, noting bugs and errors and forwarding them onto the Developments, together with meeting with Business Users and ensuring they are happy with the software, and noting any change requests that they need.

and montoring my all of my calls for my "normal" job. :twisted:

Training starts from tomorrow, but this will be something i never ever done before or even thought of doing...

interesting.... :biggrin

5. turtle

turtle New Member

Good stuff.

There's an ISEB certification in Software Testing, if you really wanted to get into testing.

I'm a developer, our company employs testing contractors and they make so much money! One of my colleagues has left the company to do development contracting and his wife is a testing contractor, he said to me: "I should have done testing rather than development, my wife is making a lot more money than me as a contractor"