Sod's law dictates....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Deckard, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

... that PC's just can't wait to bit you when you least expect it!!

I was planning on buying a new hard drive on pay day next week. So, this week I've been clearing old rubbish off the existing drive, ran a full diagnostic sweep to make sure there were no errors or nasty suprises waiting for me and all was good.
    This morning, I come down to find my PC refuses to recognise the hard drive at all. Theres a curious little melody when I try to access the drive from BIOS (I think its a Gigabyte mobo feature - it goes 'doodly, doodly do!') and makes a horrible clicking noise after giving me no warning it may be unwell. Gonna try sticking it in the freezer in a bit, sounds like the heads are borked, but the fun part was, today is my one day off and I need a hard drive. The only place with the drive I want at a sensible price that I could pick up today was tekheads in Lincoln, I'm in Sheffield and I've got a job interview this afternoon at 4....
    Just got back in time, I'm typing this wearing my suit and I'm just about to head out of the door. I don't even particularly want this job, I'm after some interview experience for a couple of jobs I'm trying for next week! Remind me why I like PCs and want to work in IT again? LOL!

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats a beep code. You need to find a listing of the beep codes for your BIOS, and figure out what its telling you.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, the beeps could mean anything at this stage.

Best of luck with the interview :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

At least you're not unprepared for the expense... you were already going to buy a new one anyway. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hey Lord what part of Sheffield you in? Surley theres some place in the city you could have gotten a drive quicker without all the run round?

You sure the tune your hearing isnt Duddley Doo rights theme?? :biggrin

Lets know how the interview went. Was it worth all the running back and forth?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I wish it was a beep code, I'd know what to do then! The sound is coming from the hard drive, I had to hold it to my ear as I was convinced it was coming from the speaker. It's a DiamondMax drive that's served me faithfully for a a couple of years and never even given a hint it wasn't feeling well. Maybe this was just to spite me as it was about to be replaced.....
    Chucked the drive in the freezer a little while to see what happens. Its not even being recognised properly by the BIOS at the moment so I'm not expecting miracles. When I try to detect it, it makes a couple of tiny clicking noises followed by the doodly,doodly,doodly doo!! tune (which even rises in pitch) followed by another couple of clicks. Bloody annoying is what it is!!

Interview went ok but I'm not that bothered about the job. Sounds like a good opportunity, the only downside is it's a 24/7 place and the recruiter was really pushy LOL!!

As to finding a hard drive Twizzle; I got a 500Gb SATA2 Samsung from Tekheads for £60. Same drive in PCWorld was £110 and the largest drive I could find anywhere in stock around Sheffield, Chesterfield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster etc (I did a bit of ringing...) was a 400Gb for £80.... So I took a nice little drive, listened to plenty of tunes and I got my drive today :) I only drive a little 1.4 Rover so it only cost me a tenner in petrol.

Lord Deckard

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA