sods at sony

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Dec 30, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well ive heard a whisper that sony are planning to make it so that youcan only use one cds on one machine, this means the end of taking your games round to your mates house and having a laugh, and when you want to sell the game then you wont be able to as it would be coded to your machine , tho sony has no plans to make this idea for the ps3 think about future gaming , i personally think its wrong and hope some of you back me up on this. I spose they do it with cars, say you have just bought a new car and for some unfortunate reason you end up writing it off, any parts that are used to put on some one elses car , you are charged VAT and some thing thats already had VAT paid, talk about money for old rope eh :x

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

now thats shocking...wasnt this the same idea they had for the DRM? then they realised it didnt work as it screwed peoples machines and that? and yet it appears they havent learned from their mistake?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How exactly would they enforce this?

I mean, suppose you had a console bought loads of games, happily played on them, then one day decided that just because your existing console had been given a face lift you wanted the newer one.

This would then leave you with a load of unplayable games.

Some how I think that this is just a hoax. I mean Sony is already in the sh1t with its rootkit stuff.

8)

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Not only is it unenforcable, it's physically impossible with games as they are produced at the moment. How will a game disc be altered so that a machine knows it's already been used in another console/PC? Even if this was done via some kind of online registration, not all people have consoles/PCs connected to t'Internet.

I think this is wishful thinking on Sony's part and also, probably illegal, otherwise book and movie publishers would have done it years ago. Once you buy a game, it's your property to do with as you please subject to copyright laws (which is why you can't copy them or broadcast them publicly).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

It has already happend on cars btw. Most electronic componants such as ECU's, radio's, fuse boxes, speedo head assemblies are all cloned to the car :blink

I am talking about cars from 2003 onwards not one of these :tongue

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Bah - newbies - my first car (an example - not the actual car)....

(First time I've done this - hope I've got it right)

Harry.

Attached Files:

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Coh, a golden oldy :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Baba O'Riley

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on how close you clone. The control unit for my car (a Scorpio) is specific for a very narrow range of units over only a few months. A real pain as I need to replace it without taking out another mortgage!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well my mate who, up until a few weeks ago worked for the AA had a laptop supplied to them for the purpose of using the ECU to find out what was wrong never could get it to work on any car. Due mainly to the fact that all the different car manufacturers use a different shape plug to each other.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Baba O'Riley

Clever! Just like computer manufacturers!

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

More info on the story from the BBC - CLICK HERE

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity