Sock eaters

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Dec 9, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would swear that washing machines are manufactured by the same companies that make socks. I bought six pairs of socks two weeks ago, and I now have 6 socks total left of those 6 pairs. Not three pairs of socks mind you. I now have 6 unmatched socks.

This is not an isolated incidence for me either. It happens to me on a regular basis. Pairs of socks go into the laundry basket, and single socks come back.

It's a conspiracy. It has to be..... :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Surely you cant blame Microsoft for this one! :biggrin

<runs away> :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. ffreeloader

Well, if they're in the sock business, then they're the ones behind it all.... :twisted:

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is why I buy only one type of sock in one color. No matter how you mix them up, they always match all the time. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Didn't you know? There does exist a Sock Eater, just like theres a Verruca Gnome and Hair Loss Fairy?

[​IMG]

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

hmmm, well, washing machines as well as a whole lot of other electrical items now come with some form of processing power and of course, if you have a processor you will need an operating system...........

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Look inside your pillowcase. Mine always seem to end up there.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i think it must be the same conspiracy that governs the knotting of cables. no matter how often or how well you unknot a cable as soon as it leaves your hands it almost instantaneously becomes knotted again :confused3

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have the same problem, I bought 12 pairs a few months back I had to but another 6 last week.

One of these days I am gonna take the drum out of the washing machine I am sure they must be getting behind it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. ffreeloader

Actually, being a former appliance repairman, I do know where they go. What happens is that during the spin cycle on the top load washing machines when there is still a lot of water at the start of it that socks sometimes get washed over the edge of the tub when the centrifugal force pushes the water to the edge of tub. If you're lucky, or unlucky according to how you see things, the sock will get stuck in the water pump. If you're not, well, then they just get flushed right down the drain.

The other thing that happens to socks is when the front and/or rear seals, depending on what make and model of dryer you have, get worn and old, and/or the drum support rollers get worn, they will fall out into the dryer body itself. It happens when constant contact isn't maintained between the drum and the front and/or rear of the dryer.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've found in the bottoms of dryers when I've pulled them apart to repair them.

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I bet it's money, keys, and a winning lotto ticket that falls apart just as you pick it up:p:biggrin

Where do all thoses socks go?? Maybe to the land of fluff:p:biggrin But i know what you mean freddy I am forever buying socks. 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. ffreeloader

Yeah, money is the most common, but I've found bras, panties, socks, shorts, and last, but most common of all, about 3 inches of lint.

There were a few red-faced women when I handed them their missing bra. For some reason they find it embarrassing to have an appliance repairman finding their undies in the bottom of their driers. :evil:

The little old ladies who are just absolute clean freaks because they have nothing else to do get really embarrassed that all that dirt is in there. But what really gets them is when their refrigerator quits working during hot weather and the entire problem is the 10 years worth of dust bunnies caught in the condenser under the refrigerator. I'd blow it out of there with compressed air and those ladies would almost die of embarrassment that there was that much dirt in their house. They prided themselves on how clean their house was, and here one of their appliances had just quit working because it was too dirty..... It would be almost more than they could take.:biggrin

13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Wow. Why be embarassed - it must happen to everyone...and, well they should make sure they get kinky undies, then the repair man would be the embarassed one 8)

What's the most bizarre thing you found in a washing machine ffreeloader?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  14. ffreeloader

I don't know if it is the most bizarre, but I once had to dig about 150 squares for making quilts out of a washing machine water pump, associated water hoses, and the outer tub.

I got a call about a washer that wouldn't drain and found the pump seized so I pumped all the water out of washer, pulled it out of the little tiny space it was in, pulled the washer apart, found a little square of cloth caught in the pump. I showed it to the lady of the house and commented on how it was odd to find just a little square like that, and she agreed.

So, I put the washer all back together, filled it full of water and went to run it through a cycle to test it, and the water pump seized again with the woman standing there. I went through the entire process again and she never said a word when I showed her another square piece of cloth. I said it was really weird to find another one just like the first one and she just looked at me.

I put everything back together and tried it again. The water pump seized again. The same process of emptying it and finding a 3rd little square of cloth. I asked her, what were you washing before I got here and she finally admitted that she was quilting and wanted to wash all the squares so she had just dumped them all the washer and started it up.

Well, after pumping the water out yet again I pulled the inner tub and the outer tub walls were just covered with all these little squares of cloth. I ended up having to run wires through all the hoses in the washer to snag all the little squares out of them too.

What happened was that when the washer first went into a spin cycle all those little squares just got swept out over the top of the inner tub by centrifugal force and she was just too embarrassed to tell me what she had done. I guess she was just hoping all the rest of those squares had somehow gotten past the pump without plugging it up as she watched me empty that thing a couple of times without saying a word.

She went and borrowed money from all the other ladies she knew in the neighborhood to pay me in cash so her husband wouldn't find out what she had done. LOL. It must not have been the first time she had screwed up an appliance.....

The most bizarre call I ever had was when I made a diagnosis of a problem and the guy told me go back to his washer and find something else wrong with it because he couldn't afford that repair. He was serious too. Somehow he just couldn't get it into his head a motor wouldn't just magically heal itself if I changed out a different part. It took a long argument with him to get him to understand that concept.

Some time afterwards I heard that he ended up in the state mental hospital. It wasn't too much of a surprise. :rolleyes:

15. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Heh!! You must have had quite a bit of fun there!! Best one has got to be the cloth one. I can't believe she pretended she didn't know what had happened - lol!!! :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE