social networking?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Ozzy2k7, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Hey,

Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone uses social networking sites?

I'm interested in your views on them.

Personally I tried Facebook after some of my friends invited me but found it rubbish. I've been looking a twitter also as a way to keep in touch with friends down south.

Ozzy

WIP: A+ Network+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm thinking about deleting my facebook and myspace account.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

myspace+facebook=epicloose

E = myspace
    L = facebook

*run module*

E+L = epicloose.py:biggrin

WIP: N+, A+
  4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I just use FB to read people's status updates (and delete application invites).

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is this not a social networking site of sorts? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I do not use any I speak to my friends using the spoken language :eek:

Certifications: A few.
  7. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

True but you know what I mean :D

WIP: A+ Network+
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I use FB all the time.
    Great way for me to see what friends/family are up to without calling to ask "what's new". Now I call to comment or ask about what I know is new :D

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have considered using them but never have, I have a close group of friends I used to have more but 4 of them died when I was about 16 in a mini bus accident, I suppose it would be a good way to meet people.

But there will probably be a bunch of trolls on there which would piss me off.

CF works for me, only the occasional troll.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

I do use Facebook occasionally, but I'm careful about what information I put there about myself. Also I limit my profile so that only friends I've accepted can see it.

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I use to have MySpace but deleted that account. I started using Facebook in May last year but then around early Feb this year I stopped using it...got back onto it...and change everything about my profile...if u do a search for my name (Waliu Mustapha) on Facebook...u wont find me...plus at one point I had like 280 friends now I have whittled it down to just 86 or so...the way I see it...it aint a popularity contest...of course the only way u can find me on Facebook is if u r on my friends list and a few peeps from CF know about that already :biggrin right Dawn, Stu and Ryan? :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I use all the big ones, Facebook, MySpace, Bebo, FriendFeed, Pownce, Twitter (the most) and LinkedIn for professionaly type stuff
    Anything that helps me keep in touch with my friends / family and peers across the world is great if you ask me.

how you use them is ofcourse up to you, we hear lots of stories about people who use them incorrectly loosing jobs etc, big deal, if you put on 'i work for ibm' then put pictures of you looking like a gimp, your bringing the company into disrepute, off you go

I don't admire the sheep like culture that has spread to the internet of 'ohhh its big lets use it' but if something can benefit me, hell yeah I will use it, thats what the internet is about, and using social networks in the manner I do keeps me in touch with a lot of people I would of otherwise lost touch with

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I personally use Hi5.com (which I reluctantly accepted due to lots of invitations from friends). I keep all my friends there in one place and its easy to see their updates and how they're doing. I was surprised to see alot of them married/engaged! Its only been about 4.5 years since we left high school! But I have a friend who just adds and accepts any and everyone who adds him.......he wants to raise his profile views and friends count. With me, if you invite me and I don't know you, then I'll politely refuse your invite. I only keep people I KNOW there........and I only updated my profile once or twice! No big deal to me at all, but I think Hi5 is indeed a nice site and far better than FaceBook and MySpace.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not for me but they do seem to be popular judging by the website hits logged on each customers firewall I support.

Where is that “Access Denied” button? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I committed Facebook suicide last weekend. Sick to ****ing death of it tbh - final straw for me was when some bint who I don't even know pestered me to add her as a friend just because we worked for the same company. Social Networking=Bunch of arse, all of it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I use the old way to network, i phone friends up & we go to the pub!:biggrin

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  17. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Ill drink to that eh!

WIP: N+, A+
  18. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I tried Facebook briefly. It seems to be the place where people with nothing to do go so they can send each other status updates and app invites. In other words, I wouldn't consider it useful for anyone with marketable skills.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  19. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

I use FB, I have found it very useful when catching up with old friends from School and football teams I ahve played for. It can get annoying, it has recently added a chat room which can only be a bad thing!

C :dry

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  20. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

About the only thing I find useful is LinkedIn.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE