So where is CPD in 2010 and onwards ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by UKDarkstar, Jan 14, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ken's thread on the need to recertify on CompTIA certs reminded me of something I meant to post at the end of last year on CPD.

After the Dorset BCS Xmas event (excellent talk btw from Peter Taylor - The "Lazy" Project Manager) I was asked by one Member if a CPD certificate was availabel for his attendance as this was required by his employer.

The Branch had not produced certificates for CPD for some time and, in view of the recent Transformation (logo etc) I contacted BCS HQ to ask if a suitable template was available.

Interestingly, this was the reply I got :

"We don’t provide CPD certificates for attendance at Branch events, as BCS no longer uses a Continuous professional development points scheme.

For more information on our Continuing Professional Development scheme, please visit: http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=nav.11987 "

Very weird (and disappointing) I thought.

So, what's your take on CPD ? Do you log stuff, does your employer require you to show you've kept up to date ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I try to collect 'evidence' where it is readilly available such as course certificates, exam reciepts, because these days employers can be very disbelieving.

You would not believe some of the interview experiences I've had, probably due to cert envy, I pretty much lost one job because the interviewer didn't like my exam dates, I took a beta exam and the interviewer decided not to believe me.

So I have all reciepts, transcripts, certificates, course descriptions, course certificates, job offers, contracts, references etc just in case.

However I am against the idea of 'CPD logging' in general, many of the best forms of involvement can produce little evidence, contributing to open source, reading fora, reading books, writing code for an employer, etc.

Only the 'clipboard holders' of this world benefit from such systems, the people that prefer to record things rather than do them...

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm very pro it (no pun intended for it/IT :biggrin ). Continuing Professional Development is one of the ways we keep up to date and progress, whether it's certs/qualifications, courses, meetings, etc...

Yes and no, we have to inform personnel of any CPD that we do as it's our organisations policy. Personally I only really "log" in the sense that I update my CV and website on any certs that I gain. Regardless of whether or not I approve of it, is not here or there, it's something that's required...

-Ken

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My girlfriend is involved in training and development - not IT related - and one of her courses required her to have x number of hours experience in a, b and c. The only evidence they needed was a written log, and only one of which had to be from work and her manager signing it - could have been faked, but our attitude was we know she did the time, as did her boss, and she'll be the better for actually putting in the time.

I suppose a similar argument is the study for exam/dump exam - learn it, or pass the exam?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293