So where do you store your data ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UKDarkstar, May 22, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Seeng as we've had a few threads recently about whether it's safe to use cloud type storage and the likes of Google/YouTube etc. I thought I'd post this article I caught on the BBC's "Click" programme :

Is YouTube's three-strike rule fair to users?

"Until I lost 900 videos, I never actually considered there was anything unsafe about trusting a company such as Google to protect my data. After all, who keeps photos in a shoebox anymore?"

Blogger Mark Kobayashi-Hillary has had his YouTube account removed after uploading a video from a gig by British comedian Jimmy Carr.

"As we all sat down I thought I'd capture the build up and rising expectations on my mobile phone video camera," he said.

"I posted the video [on YouTube] of the audience and told friends on my blog how funny it was."

Despite the comedian or his work being absent from the video, his management company decided to complain to YouTube's owners Google.

A letter was sent to Mr Kobayashi-Hillary explaining he had breached copyright "multiple" times and his account was being closed.

Google wrote: "When we're notified that a particular video uploaded to our site infringes another's copyright, we remove the material as the law requires."

The company operates a three-strike policy so a user is removed from their site after three complaints by copyright holders.

'It's the law'

The removal of content has upset some popular music blogs in the US, and individual bloggers sometimes find their blogs vanish without trace.

Ollie Rickman from Google said the firm must act on complaints sent to them. Bloggers feel victimised and have complained that firms are automatically assuming guilt and siding with copyright holders.

Read the full story with video interviews HERE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)