So whats this BCS thing all about

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by dales, May 2, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

just been having a look at the BCS website and just a little confused by it all. Is it a club/ or set of exams, or does a membership fee and passing exams get you into the BCS.
    Anyone here members and can they shed any light?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

We had a contractor in the other day who left his card, it had MBCS after his name. I'm also not sure what its all about.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know. I thought the only way to get into the BCS is to be a Division 1 NCAA college and be one of the best 20 or so college football teams in the US during that year of competition.... :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No big deal, I’ve been a member since uni, started as graduate member and now MBCS. £70 a year for membership. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Student member, then graduate, then didn't bother. Became a member of game dev organisation instead. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

What are the benefits of being a member?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

sounds a bit like you pay a sub each year and get a couple of magazines a year and get invited to talks if you live anywhere near a big city! Thats me out. country bumpkin me!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

They are a decent org but I don't think it'll do you much good unless you're involved in the research/academic side of things. When I passed me sh-ITIL course I was sent an "invite" to join the BCS - for a fee!!! F*ck that!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They are not really an academic or research organisation, look at the ACM or IEEE for that.

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thats a shame I was looking forward to learning another secret handshake!

[​IMG]

11. drum_dude

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

http://history.acm.org/
    http://www.acm.org/about/history

http://www.ieee.org/web/aboutus/history/index.html
    http://www.computer.org/portal/site...t/history&file=CShistory.xml&xsl=generic.xsl&

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.1580

The BCS is very much the spotty teenager of the bunch...

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I tried that same kind of response the last time someone brought up the BCS and was also summarily ignored. Know that at least one person (me) laughed! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. drum_dude

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's because most of us here haven't got the foggiest idea what you are talking about :blink

Oh, and we don't know much about college football teams either :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The reason we joke about the only BCS we know is because *we* don't have the foggiest idea what *you* are talking about with your BCS. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

To be honest *I* don't have the foggiest idea what *we* are talking about. I was talking about THE BCS otherwise known as the Body Corporate Services http://www.bcssm.com.au/ :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's an organisation that caters for IT Professionals world-wide (but primarly for the UK), one of the aims of the BCS is to develop the IT Profession into a recognised profession (just like engineering, nursing, lawers, etc.) Currently it is the only organisation that awards the CITP (Chartered IT Professional status) although the IET is in talks with the BCS to be able to award them also. The BCS also awards the CEng, IEng & CSci awards (this is apart from the membership grades - AMBCS, MBCS, etc).

You can join the BCS with time spent working in IT and/or certain quals, you will also have to provide 2 references.

The BCS also awards educational quals (you will have to take various module & exams) up to NQF 6 which is Honours degree level.

Should you join? That's up to you, I found the goals of the BCS similar to mine. Plus I make use of some of the benefits of membership such as: the sfia and career development, the forums, the online books, plus I also get legal aid if at some point in the future I need it (have you seen the prices of solicitors lately?), etc...

Alot of people will say that they are a waste of time (people will say the same thing about degrees, professional certs, vocational certs, etc), others will say that they are a good investment (again people will say the same thing about degrees, professional certs, vocational certs, etc). Personally I believe that they are a good organisation to join especially since I want to progress up the career ladder. Not everyone develops the same way, not everyone takes the same route.

Best bet is to ring the BCS up (or e-mail), talk to them and then make your own informed decision.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security