SO what exactley is the passmark??

Discussion in 'A+' started by Muso, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

It seems kinda confusing exactley what the passmark is for the A+ exams on their homepage is sais the test is marked 100-900 and the passmark is 500? why cant they just say you need to get such and such percent? Anyone know exactley what the percentages are for hardware and software.

Im currently scoring 65% on the hardware practise tests I feel I'm almost ready.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't know why they don't give out scores as a percentage, it's the same with most certs, where they are marked out of a number rather than a percentage.

I'd say though that if you are regullarly getting 65% then you are almost ready for the real thing.

I'd suggest booking the exam and trying to get those scores up to 70% just to be safe. Be careful that you don't start memorising answers though, if you can try and determine where your weaknesses lie and read up on them.

8)

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I guess maybe in part because when questions were adaptive, so some were "weighted" more than others, it wasn't as straight forward as getting "x out of y" right (or wrong), so percentages didn't really apply. Also, with various beta questions being (potentially) trialled in the exams, there may be a different scoring systems in place. I agree though, the 100-900 sliding score is quite odd.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well the pass marks are 505 and 515 (I think). So this makes them as percentages 63 and 64 (approx) respectively, or possibly 56 and 57 depending on if you use the difference as 800 or 900. I wouldn't go in until you hit the 80% mark at least once on any prep tests.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd try to score as high as I possibly could on the mock exams. One of the reasons is that in the real test, you won't do as well as you could. I'm not knocking you down...it's just that anxiety tends to reduce most people's performance...at least a little. However, if you are very well prepared, you can compensate for any emotional and environmental factors that might get in the way and still pass the exams.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I always think that there is a -20% effect with exams well there is with me!:blink

7. ferenczyp

ferenczyp Bit Poster

How can I test myself?

Certifications: Noyhing :-(
    WIP: A+ starting soon
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you are a very remarkable individual who does not do as well when facing a practice test, which, btw, you've gone over several times now, than you do on a real test, which, unless you are using Transcender practice tests is much more difficult than your practice tests, then go right ahead.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Is that the long way of saying "you're not quite ready yet" ? :blink

j/k :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hey, who am I to tell someone that they aren't ready yet? I don't know the person who started this thread. I'm just pointing out a few things that would be relevant to a remarkable individual, or to a person who is a little closer to the average, like the rest of us.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1