So What are you lot doing for Children In Need

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Nov 14, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I'm raffling off 2 dozen of my chickens eggs plus a jar of home made pickled eggs. well on my way to my target amount.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

regretfully nothing due to current job/financial situation.

In the past I have donated Saturday overtime pay and the like :)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dress down day at work and paying Team Leaders 50p for each cup of 'T' they make us :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

Nothing, it's grim in need atm :(

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Honestly? I'm doing nothing for other children. My energies are focused on supporting my own child. Said child, by the way, is in grade two and was just cited for her exemplary reading skills (grade four level).

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you mean this Children in Need, nothing. If you mean "children in need" in a more generic sense, my wife and I have helped support three children for over ten years courtesy of World Vision. In addition, I organized a continual food drive at my congregation whereby each Sabbath, everyone brings at least one canned good. When we reach "critical mass", our youth group arranges to take the "stash" to our local foodbank. Then we start all over again. Agreed, it doesn't help "just children" but anyone in need of food. This year, the food bank is at an all time low and they need a lot of help. Even the most needy of our congregation can afford to by a cheap can of soup (less than a dollar) to help those even less fortunate.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. scottm

scottm Bit Poster

unfortantly i am not doing anything. tho i might phone in and it charges a quid or two to the phone bill. maybe donate a bit.

Certifications: A+, CENT, MCTS, 70-271
    WIP: MCDST, CCNA
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm at home ill, so nothing for me, but my work is having a dress down day.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I never do anything for children in need, they could give them enough cash if they didn't pay TW £60k for doing it and their presenters double pay.

I was listening to a stand in guy on a radio station last night who said when the BBC put this on every year all the control staff, camera men, production crew etc etc all get double pay as he used to be the head of the control room.

So I won't be doing nothing. I give to Childrens charities as it is.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Err, well last year it was stated that TW had been paid every year since 1980 but he did give it up for 2007 and it also says other presenters were not paid : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ives-10-000-fee-presenting-Children-Need.html

Not heard anything about this year tho' :rolleyes:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. neutralhills

Here's the thing...

1. I figure that as a parent it's my job to look after my kid. If other parents looked after their kids there wouldn't be any "children in need". So I'm leading by example here.

2. I personally, and my business, donate to programs for gifted children. I do this because while there's a fire hose aimed at the "special needs" crowd (the one with parents who constantly threaten litigation), there's only a trickle aimed at the gifted children. Which crowd would you rather bet on?

3. I was a special needs kid. Every time we got a food bank hamper it made my mom happy because she now had more money for cigs, beer, pot, and partying. Same thing when some local charity bought me X-mas presents -- it freed up her "entertainment" budget. Then there was the odd occasion when the X-mas gifts I received were valuable enough that they were sold for drugs for her and her boyfriends. Most people who feed this system aren't involved enough with it to realize that it simply enables bad parents to become even worse parents by rewarding their behavior.

I say the best thing we can do is cut off these losers so that they and their kids show up on the radar. We seize the children and put them somewhere where they'll actually be fed, clothed, educated, and not raped several times a week. We take the parents, sterilize them, and cut them off from all future forms of assistance. Period.

Problem fixed.

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Totally agree with you there.

I grew up in care, infact at the age 12 months I was put on the At risk register as my biological father stamped on my head when he was wearing steel toe capped boots, he fractured my skull in 3 places all because I was born prematurely and I wouldn't stop crying as I was ill.

At 14 months I was taken into care wher I had 5 foster families until I was 18 Months old then I was fostered again and have been with that family since. People like My biological parents should be steralized the same goes for those parents in the media at the moment.

I give money to places like Doctor Barnados etc but I think programmes like Children In Need have to cover our backyard first before giving to other countries, who know where that money actually goes? we never get an update on that apart from the next children in need.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Blimey Wish I never started this now! Well I can happily say that I managed to raise my £100 target for raffling off a few eggs, I have 2 children too and give money to charity when I can. I agree that we should concerntrate on our own country, but im happy to help worthy causes anywhere if I can. TBH I normally will give money to animal charities mostly.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My Sunday school class gives food through a local organization called Backpack Missions, where they fill up backpacks of non-perishable food and take them to the children who live in the poorest areas of the US, in Appalachia (KY/TN/VA/WV). This mission has particularly touched my wife's heart, as she is from West Virginia. Our family is going to provide Christmas presents to one of the needy families there - a single mom who works at McDonalds and her 14-year-old son.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. neutralhills

BM, you reminded me of something. I'm not opposed to charity for those with a genuine need, but I won't give through third parties when I don't know who my contribution is going to. I see nothing wrong with helping those who are down through no fault of their own, especially when you know them personally (like your single mom).

I've always felt that charitable giving should be a personal thing that connects those giving and those receiving.

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely agreed. Although we haven't yet been up there to see the backpacks be distributed, we plan on doing so in the near future... and although we don't yet know that single mom from McDs, we're going to meet them when we take the gifts to them.

Like you, I don't want to contribute to any existing problems. One story broke my heart... there's a little girl there whose mother is addicted to Internet gambling. The Backpack Missions founder, Diane, decided to buy the girl some toys for her birthday, and the girl said that she wanted clothes instead. So Diane bought the girl some new clothes. The next time Diane returned to Kentucky, the girl was wearing her old, shabby clothes. Diane asked her if the clothes fit, and the girl just looked down and nodded. Turns out the mother took the clothes back to the store and got the money for them... which she used on her Internet gambling addiction. Just the fact that her mom HAS the Internet and a computer, but not able to buy food and clothes, is bad enough... the fact that she'd take her daughter's birthday clothes is even worse.

Diane now cuts the tags (size labels) out of the clothes before giving them to children so the parents will be unable to return them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. neutralhills

Yes. Sounds ... familiar. I got an incredibly cool Tyco race set for Christmas when I was 10. It disappeared by Boxing Day so my mom's boyfriend could buy more drugs. Very few of the people who give to these charities realize that they're simply making a bad situation worse.