So I wanna work in IT.....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Wallybazoom, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Wallybazoom

Wallybazoom New Member

This is a very general question and not one I expect a clear cut answer to, but what is the best way into IT and in terms of availability, pay, ease of entry etc etc which is the best area (ie programming, systems etc etc) to go for? I'm 32, unemployed and eager to start a career in IT. My leaning is toward programming (have a little experience of this from one of the many IT courses I completed several years ago) but not sure how practical building a wothwhile career out of this within the next few years would be, nor how best to begin! If anyone can offer me some advice I'll be very grateful. Cheers

Certifications: MCP
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

This is a very difficult question to answer, since there is no clear cut way into an IT role. Many people simply find themselves in one! :rolleyes:

The question that you have posed is one that has been asked many times before, and I'm sure if you do enough reading around the forums you will find some answers you are looking for.

What I would suggest first of all is that you try to decide what type of role you want, and why. What interests you, what are you good at.

Good Luck. 8)

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're leaning towards programming, learn to program. It's that easy. :)

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

Im with simon here.

You have to work out what you'r egoing to enjoy. Programming, web development, fixing pcs and hardware, designing systems, supporting people(sorting out problems), managing networks, building networks.

There's loads of options and I think most of us have a dabble at most things along the way.

IMHO maybe the simplest way to get a start would be to learn networking fundamentals, (Network + perhaps), then get a basic MCP (in XP perhaps) and then look at 1st line support positions, which is you basic helpdesk stuff.
    And not be afraid to go contracting.
    Its far easier to get contract work, even if you have to go bog standard than to find full time stuff.
    If you can sell your self well, learn web design and then go and find people you can convince to have a web site. (It got me through a lot of skint periods over the years!)

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!
  5. BosonMichael

If he's wanting to do programming, all that's not gonna do him a lot of good.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

Thats true, but the question wasnt how do I get into programming it was what is the best way into IT, and my, possibly limited, experience is that it is probably a bit easier to break into IT this route than through programming.

Its just an opinion:D

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!
  7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well for programming I would look first a reputable training provider and see if they can give you a skills and aptitude test to see if you are suited for it...this will save you a lot of work and possibly pain.

Basically with being successful in any field of IT what is required is both an almost fanatical enthusiasm for IT and the ability to focus on getting one step done at a time.

I think a lot of people look at IT generally and get put off by the big picture and the amount of work involved...but if a new chum focuses on relevant bits and pieces then it is not nearly so bad...IMHO

HTH

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  8. BosonMichael

Actually, in the past year and a half, I've had more calls for entry-level programmers than anything. Perhaps the outsourcing trend has reversed.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I disagree
    a N+ would be just as beneficial for a programmer as a cisco support engineer
    knowing the fundemental building blocks of a network and network protocols is very useful in almost all it fields!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0