So I think I found a decent course..

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi all

I think I found a really good course at college which teaches both programming and hardware units, the course is 2 years full-time although I think its around 15hrs of college a week which would be ideal as I have to work in the meantime. The course looks absolutely perfect for me as I will be getting both the programming and tech support side from the course. I'm unsure about how much it costs as of yet but I believe I will be looking at around 4k which I am happy-ish to pay as its a full on practical BTEC level 3 course which most definitely provides you with the skills needed to gain employment within either software or tech support I am mainly looking to just get the practical skills if I'm honest as I am really not the type of guy that can self-study effectively (I'm not afraid to say it) I need that teacher there giving me a structure to follow... which is why I discontinued with the A+ cert, the certificate at the end is a bonus and something to build on as I could progress to university after (which I most likely wouldn't be unless it was the open university). It's not even set in concrete that I will be applicable for the course but it's definitely something I would be interested in doing if given the opportunity. Only thing holding me back is the idea of being in my early 20s but being sat in a class of 16-18 year olds. Do you think that it should put me off? I mean the course is ideal for me but its the shame of being in a class of..well..kids tbh lol, I'm probs being abit silly but I would just like to get a few opinions as I dont have anyone else to really ask.

Thanks Peeps

- - - Updated - - -

Darn just realised I've posted in the wrong section.. if a mod could please rectify this by moving it to training and development that would be great.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, the "atmosphere" may be a bit different if the majority are in their teens, but I wouldn't worry about it. There is no guarantee that the majority will be in their teens and besides, you're not going for them, you're going for you. I've been on the oppositive end, I've always been a part-time student, so for the majority I was always the youngest in the class (ok, not so much now) and as long as the work was being done, it didn't really matter what age everyone was.

Moved :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree with Ken, as long as people are there to study and you can get on with the course it sounds like an excellent opportunity.

The age gap seems pretty minimal to me, when I was a student aged 18-21 there were people of all ages, mature students in their 30's and 40's.

While its fair to say the 40 somethings didn't really socialize with us, other than that it wasn't really an issue.

Despite the age gap you could even make some great friends, which is something you don't get with self study.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks guys you're right, just need to arrange everything now hoping the college get back to me pronto

5. Pards07

Pards07 New Member

Hi Juelz,

I was 27 when I went back to college to study in computer networking and had the exact same feelings as yourself about the age difference. However, I pushed myself to do it and was pleasantly surprised to find the majority of people in the class were of the same age and even some older. With the levels of unemployment nowadays people of all ages are returning to college to retrain, you'll probably find your one of the younger ones in your class.

I am just about to finish my HND and it's the best decision I've ever made, good luck with it!!