So how do you start off with Web Development

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I'm assuming that the basics are learning HMTL/XHTML and CSS. But then what?

There seem to be a multitude of skills and programming languages.

Would Javascript come 'next'? ASP.NET?

I'm also assuming that one would (eventually) need a portfolio, some demonstration of websites already created, rather than a cert?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

HTML/XHTML and CSS are useful skill to have as a web developer but most of that side of things is likely going to be handled by the designer.

I'd say either .NET, PHP or possibly JAVA and build up some SQL/MySQL skills as well.

Definitely, websites created and running in the real world carry far more weight than most certs for developers.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

yeah.... whats one of them again? I've never met one yet.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

D'oh, I've confused web development with web design. :oops::biggrin

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh.
    In that case, which one did you want to know about? :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I think the problem, or perhaps my problem is that there seems to be at time a bewildering number of languages and skills. HTML, XHTML, Javascript, .NET, SQL. Where do I start! Which ones are for design and which for development :ohmy

It's development that interests me.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

On the front end there is considerable overlap between design and development, The markup (HTML/CSS) has to both be attractive and functional. Dynamic front end behaviour is added to HTML by embedding JavaScript.

On the back end multiple technologies can be used to dynamically build the response that gets sent to the browser.

To do end to end web development you would need to typically learn an entire development stack.

HTML, CSS, Javascript, ASP.NET, C#, IIS, SQL Server, and Windows would be your development stack if your are a pure MS shop.

To start with you will need to know internet basics and programming fundamentals, what is a browser, the request / response model, HTTP, web-server, basic markup, basic programming constructs, etc.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010