So called Helpdesk Support???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by noelg24, Jun 17, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So here's the scope, my girlfriend has got in contact with someone who says there happens to be some helpdesk support positions going on. So she has decided to buff up my CV (i thought it looked alright) and then I had to do a cover letter (I hate those). Anyway it has been sent off to this woman and that was like nearly 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting....the problem is this woman has a huge knack of disappearing from her offices nearly everyday!! :!: so when I asked my girlfriend if she had heard anything she said she's away with work this week and my repsonse to that was No flamin' surprise as she always does and is so unreliable..she shouldnt be working for an agency (at least not a recruitment one) so I am still waiting. I dont even where the job is and how much it pays or even what it involves. damn I feel stupid letting women run my life. how would you guys feel I wonder?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Is there anyone else in the office that you could talk to? Normally offices have backup people to take over duties when people are away or sick.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Trust me Nug me old son I have done...and they all say the same thing we pass your details on and get her to give u a ring....and I aint got time for that.... :evil:

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Mate, i wouldnt stress to much about that, its all to common to go two weeks without a call, or just never get a call back at all
    you can however go for more than one job at once, so just keep applying mate

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks Phoenix...but the thing is everything everyone has mentioned I have done...it wasnt really two weeks it has been two weeks since I last applied which was back in APRIL!!!! and I have in fact been waiting since APRIL and I have applied for numerous jobs since then. but as usual to no avail...I cant even get an interview so that people can say yes or no to my face....but fear not...here's to hoping....

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i know that rap mate
    getting the ineterview for me is the challenge, i dont think i have ever got to an interview and not been offered the job, getting an interview is the challenge for me, even takes me months these days (used to be days lol)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's not really effective to apply to just one job then wait (and wait and wait) and see if you are called for an interview or not. Apply to every job you are even remotely qualified for. Don't depend on any one of them being "the one" and don't wait for a response. Keep moving and keep applying.

Having said that, it is appropriate to call in periodically as you have been doing to get an update on where you are in the queue. Frankly, I do this selectively when I'm actively applying but I should do this for every job. Often, I don't have the time (or the interest) in following up on *every* job I apply for and will do follow ups only on the ones I'm interested in. My most recent hire (tech writing job) I actually didn't follow up after not hearing from them because I figured I didn't have a shot (imagine that!). Blew me away when they finally called me in for an interview. They just had to wade through a ton of resumes before making the call back list.

Also, HR people have lots to do besides concentrate just on the one job you've applied to. Who knows where this person disappears to but perhaps she has good reason for being out so much. If she really isn't able to focus on the job you applied for then at least they haven't hired anyone else for it, either. Hang in there. Job hunting is very hard. Don't make it harder by personalizing the struggle over this one job.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

good point trip..thanks I will keep that in mind...