Snow

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

So any of you British folks WFH today due to the weather, or are you all tougher than that? :p

Can't believe how empty the carpark is at my work - prob about 75% of cars missing compared to a normal Thursday :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i got no transport problems!

First time i seen snow... stayed up till 4am when it started... watched it fall.. woke up this morning.. uni shut for the day so the whole res is out in the park... LOVING IT! :oops: :oops:

How often does it snow in london? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Didn't last though. The rain's washed it all away, at least here in Bristol. :(

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

noting like that here! :D

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

apparently, and correct me if im wrong here, but yesterday in London, a bit of a sunny day, bit nippy though, with a forecast of snow thursday and friday, certain schools were announcing that they would be closed because of the snow. BEFORE A FLAKE OF SNOW WAS SEEN.

You'd never get away with that in Scotland. Here, you'd spent all morning getting ready listening to the radio to hear if your school MIGHT be closed, and that was after any amount of snowfall.

In london, a little snow grinds the area to a halt, up here in scotland we just bloody get on with it. I love it, things ground to a halt in england after 9cm of snow fell in SOME areas (most appeared to be about 3cm). 3cm??????? you can still see the pavement through 3cm of snow. what a joke.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Got none here, im gutted

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

@Fergal1982

I remember when I used to live in London and there was heavy snowfall one time back in the 90s, the whole underground system practically packed it in. Mind you, it doesn't take much to put the underground out of action. My local station (Neasden) used to be closed every other weekend for no tangible reason. And whenever that happened you had to take several rail replacement buses to get to somewhere where you could continue your journey. Total nightmare.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

It is silly - though I don't blame people for not coming to work over here as no-one prepared the roads and so this morning there was one huge line of traffic that was trundling along at about 30mph in 4th gear and slipping and sliding whenever some one in the distance breaked, but we do have a fair bit more than 3cm!

Still beautiful here in Cranfield - thick white landscape as far as the eye can see!!

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

OH MY GOD IT'S GLOBAL COOLING! EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I actually didnt work from home today, i did most of last week and the weather was good
    a few trains were cancelled but no major hassles getting to work
    i think you all ready too much into the pathetic media sensasionalism this country spits out, most of us went to work/school/whatever, its just a bit of bloody snow!
    its been snowing all day here! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Had 3-4 inches in Northampton and I got up and drove 30 miles to work. Still here till 7 but the roads are now OK

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK so it snowed when i left for work. Quite hard too, but i still made it in, all 36 miles. Thought i'd get to go home early but it cleared up, now its all just sludge.

What gets me is that people who live closer to work didnt get in. I reckon they saw the first flake and phoned in saying they were snowed in!!! Bah some people just look for an excuse to have a day off. And it was busy too, had to do a dial in to Japan and a few configs etc!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

... but where to??? Its global!

14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

We had a bit here in south Wales but I drove to work in Bristol today and it seems they had more here. My colleague wrote his car off on the drive from Weston-Super-Mare this morning. He's alright though.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. BosonMichael

HOLY CRAP!!! :ohmy

I'd suggest that we all go home and turn on our heaters, but then we'd be screwed by global warming rather than global cooling! SOMEONE SAVE US!!!! :cry:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The Moon? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. BosonMichael

It'd only be a matter of time before someone starts complaining about the perils of lunar warming. :rolleyes:

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

The cheese would go off !!

Glasgow and Ayrshire absoultely crystal clear all day - had customers in London calling in saying the place had ground to a halt, and moaning about how soft they have become !!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Eh?!? ...Mmmentally, or physically? :eek:

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LMAO !! I didn't ask :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity