Snooping through the power socket

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Jul 14, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Snooping through the power socket

Power sockets can be used to eavesdrop on what people type on a computer.

Security researchers found that poor shielding on some keyboard cables means useful data can be leaked about each character typed.

By analysing the information leaking onto power circuits, the researchers could see what a target was typing.

The attack has been demonstrated to work at a distance of up to 15m, but refinement may mean it could work over much longer distances.

Full story : here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dazza786
      dazza786
      quite impressive
    2. slyuen
      slyuen
      sounds like Star Trek Tricorder to me...
    3. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Yep... but this is nothing new. This was a security issue even back when I was in Army Intel about 20 years ago.
    4. Qs
      Qs
      On-screen keyboards for the win. :p

Qs
    5. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Ergonomics FAIL!

Not to mention the following issues:

- Those signals STILL have to travel from the screen to the computer... you won't have gained ANY data security by doing that.
      - It's a lot easier to see what you're typing when you're typing on a screen. Did you know that there have been similar studies on reconstructing video images based on reflections (from walls and other materials)?
      - Fingerprint analysis can also be used to crack passwords - clean screen, wait for you to type password, see what "keys" have been struck. Teh WIN for the h4x0r!

Just sayin'. 8)
    6. Qs
      Qs
      Right, that's it, I'm going back to paper and pen :p

Qs
    7. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Make sure to get one of those pens with ink that can only be read under a black light. THAT'LL fool them!! :disguise
    8. Pheonicks56
      Pheonicks56
      Breaking from the topic a little:

I recently found out that a local SCIF, secret compartmentalized information facility, had to remove all computer speakers for fear of snooping. The threatening technology is that information can be passed through the magnetic field created by the speakers sound waves. My wife's new Polar F11 HRM uses the same tech to upload information to and from the computer wirelessly. Just thought it was interesting and fit well with this article.
    9. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Yep. Everything's gotta be specially shielded to prevent signal leakage.

I'm impressed that anyone else here has heard the term SCIF! The S in SCIF is typically referred to as "Sensitive" or "Secure", since "Secret" refers to a particular level of classification (Top Secret / Secret / Confidential).
    10. Pheonicks56
      Pheonicks56
      Well seeing as I was an EW in the Navy and worked in a SCIF, I would hope I knew what one was LOL. You are right about the S in SCIF, I still hold my TS/SCI, hopefully can put it to use in Cali. If you know any jobs or anyone, hook me up! :biggrin
    11. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      ah yes! The unwindowed building... good stuff!

I didn't get my TS/SCI renewed... it wasn't really worth it for me to do so. Jobs where a clearance is required are too few and far between, at least in the Greater Nashville Metropolitan Area, and I didn't want to move to DC.

That said, if you want a job here, I have a bunch of local contacts.
    12. Signore
      Signore
      All I can say is thats nuts