smtp/pop3/imap needed for 272?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by derkit, Jan 19, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Bit of an odd question I suppose - to use outlook express/outlook for the 272 exam, do I need to locate an e-mail server that will allow smtp/pop3/imap so I can use in my practice sessions? Or can I study for those sections without the need of actually signing up to anything?

Thanks!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

You should be able to set up outlook express with your own email account from your ISP.

If you look on there website, whoever it is ( BT Pipex Tiscal to name a few) they will tell you the pop3 and smpt settings. Or do a search on Google for pop3-smtp settings.

Regards

Toasty

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the help Toasty - unfortunately, I don't have an e-mail account with my ISP - hence asking you guys :)

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You don't?

What ISP are you with just out of curiousity?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

With a company called IDnet
    LINKY POO

When I signed up it was simply a hosting/adsl website access without all the crazy frills - been absolutely spot on.

This is the package that I'm on - Linky - and they seem to be offering e-mail in their with it.... maybe worth a look.

Without the digression there :) , is it needed for the course??

Edit: I have the different server addresses so will give it a go - the only reason I had this question was because I was having a bit of an issue finding somewhere that gave free pop/smtp/imap e-mail access for me to play with.....

6. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I use www.bluebottle.com

Its a really good free package. Allows you to configure smtp and pop3 access etc..

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You will be asked questions about outlook express/microsoft outlook so yes you should know how to configure and use both applications. However is it needed yes to some extent, but if you don't have it then it's not a great loss. I never used outlook express to prepare for 271 and I was able to answer questions, so it's not that bad.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Google mail Link Here supports both POP3 and IMap, so might be some use to you if you want to play with outlook.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for all the comments guys - especially Prof - thats exactly the type of answer I was searching for. My ISP has changed its setup since the last time I looked so I've used those settings for the exam.

I know Outlook Express/Outlook anyway, but I didn't want to get my hands dirty studying to then have to stop to find a pop3 etc. mailbox.