Smell the coffee!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SlideAway, Aug 11, 2006.

1. SlideAway

SlideAway New Member

Hello to all on the forum!! Its amazing, I've just started my IT career and had so many questions needing answered when I stumbled across this forum and bang!! Questions answered. I've just completed my A+, N+, Security+, CCNA, and MCSE through a training company, all self-funded. The thing is I truly believed I would walk into a relatively high paid IT job and just start using my qualifications straight away. How wrong and naieve I am, but I feel the training company paints a bit of a false picture with rosy statistics. So there I am last week sitting in my new office as as an IT support analyst thinking about leaving the job (after a week!!) because I'm just doing odd IT jobs here and there. It was then I found this site and reality dawned that my head had been up my... I never realised how fortunate I am to have a good entry into the IT profession and how just having certifications is just the start. So a big THANKYOU to all on this forum who have made me realise the reality of a career in IT. These training companies are having a bit of a laugh really.

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA, A+, N+, Security+
    WIP: 70-653
  2. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Reality sucks dude

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A foot in the door is a *big* start, you make your own luck after that. 8)

Impressive line up of certs, you must be one of the few people that has passed the MCSE with little or no commercial experience. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Slide,

Welcome aboard. Well done on all your certs and the all important first job.

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Ok, so you have the certs.....what's your background and hand-on experience? Is this your first IT job?

Yup, it's foot in the door and you may have to do a lot of things you don't like to move forward.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. SlideAway

SlideAway New Member

cheers guys. the training was good, I basically sat full time in the centre for over a year. there were a few of us doing these certifications but we didn't honestly think it would take this long. I have a fair whack of cash to pay back but I see it as an investment hopefully. the biggest plus was the fact that the training centre had to find a one month placement as part of the overall package. fortunately, i was handed this job, which turned out to be permanent. As for IT experience, just the usual taking PC's part etc then I got on a postgraduate course doing Information Technology and thought about IT as a career for the first time. after reading the forum, i'm gonna do a bit of IT voluntary work once a week as I'm all theory to be honest.

7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I have a few questions if I may:

1. How much did they charge for the whole shebang?
    2. How long did it take?
    3. What salary did they promise you at the end?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Looks like we helped. Glad we did :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum SlideAway 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. SlideAway

SlideAway New Member

the course was subsidised by a few companies and we were given all of the certifications I have mentioned for round about £6k. this included a classroom environment (sitting with two computers using virtual pc's) and a full-time instructor who was always on hand. we have 18 months in which to complete our studies but i managed it in around 13. its near impossibe to do in in less than a year. its a helluva lot of studying and we are only promised a one month placement with no salary expectations.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

blimey, you have done well! Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT