SMB + SSH Ubuntu 6.06 help!

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Jellyman_4eva, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

After finally sorting out a PC for myself... (SCAN are a nightmare)...

I have decided to go Ubuntu and downloaded the ISO and installed it, and updated it...

I then decided to pick up some stuff from work....

so I ssh into work setting a local port forward on my machine port 139 to port 139 of the server which holds my data... all good...

I then go to Ubuntu's Network Server option in the Places menu, and select a Windows share on 127.0.0.1 and put in my details...

Everything comes up and I start copying my data across manually, until I realized I have a script which does all this... anyways, there is an icon sat on my desktop which basically points to the server, but there is no mount entry in mounts or anything!!

Where is this directory being mounted to?? Any ideas?! It is being mounted as I can get my data off of it (And no it is not in /mnt or /media!)

Thanks!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummm.... First of all 127.0.0.1 is the local machine.

Places -> Network Servers

that opens the Network Window

Then: File -> Connect to Server That opens the connect to Server window. At the top of that window you have options to connect to several different servers.

However, if you don't already have Windows shares available on another machine, or an FTP or WebDAV server up and running you will have nothing to connect to. If you want to share files on your Ubuntu machine to Windows machines and vice versa you must install the Samba server and then create shares and put the files you want to share in those directories. Once you do that you can share those files with Windows machines.

Be aware though that Samba is not a secure method of file transfer so anyone who so desires can capture your files.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

I think you misunderstand my situation...

By using ssh and port forwarding I have the scenario like this:

Any access by my PC on port 139 (Samba) goes down the ssh tunnel to the ssh box at work and then the ssh box forwards it to the IP address of the server with the file share I want..

All of this works fine...

To connect to said share, I therefore need to connect to port 139 on my own box (hence the 127.0.0.1) which then gets sent by ssh to my work... which also works... and I login and finally a little folder icon is on my desktop which I double click and it shows my stuff, and I can copy and paste and whatever with it...

Question is, once this is mounted, where actually on the filesystem is this mounted to... or put another way, how do I access this mounted share from a terminal....

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Open nautilus and change the left hand column from the default "Places" to "Tree" and see if the shares show up there. If they do try right-clicking on the share and choose properties. If I remember correctly that should show you the absolute path on one of the tabs.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1