SMB Signing

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Ally, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Please help!! i have noticed something happening after trying to figure out what SMB signin was actually doing!
    I have a parent and a child domain and an XP client which is connected to the child domain!!I applied a GPO to an ou that holds the XP client computer account and configured it as following:

Microsoft Network Client: Digitally sign communications (always): disabled
    Microsoft Network Client: Digitally sign communications (If server agrees): disabled
    Domain Controller GPO is at its default settings regarding SMB signing

I refreshed the policy and even after a few reboots nothing appeared to be happening. Suddenly now tho when i went to access a folder on the DC for the child or parent domain i get prompted for a user and password which fails (the username and password are def correct).

Is this a because the SMB policy has suddenly become active and if so why did it take so long??

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you will find that the group policy refresh interval by default for the machine policy is 90 minutes.

It sounds to me like you didn't successfully force the refresh.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Hi, i ensured that i had forced the refresh by using gpupdate /force and even after 90 minutes it was still not refreshing! This turned out to be because the Group Policy infrastructure had failed due to corruption somewhere in the client!I found this out thru RSOP in logging mode!
    As for the password thing related to SMB signing, i had set contradicting settings for the server and client so will look inot this more!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting Ally, thanks for the update 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)