Smart People needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Haroon Mustafa, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

I am trying to burn a dmg (mac OS X) disk using a Windows PC (Win10)

Anyone know how or any useful things to know before i do it?

Is there a way to convert the dmg file to iso and use a normal ISO burner? If so, will i be able to use it and re image a Macbook pro?

Any information will be much appreciated

Haroon

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So it's going to depend on how large the dmg file is first of all because you may not be able to fit it on to a DVD anyway.

Next I would use dmg2iso (http://www.howtogeek.com/102983/how-to-convert-dmg-files-to-iso-files-on-windows/) and convert it that way.

Any reason you're burning it to an ISO\DVD and not just extracting the files and using a USB drive instead?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Haroon Mustafa

Thank you.

The file is 4.8Gb

I thought converting the dmg in to an iso will allow me to burn it to a disk easier on windows pc. Inevitability i want to re image a Mac pro book.

If there is a way i can burn the dmg file i have to USB or DVD on a windows PC, then please share.

Haroon

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

so is this OSX you're trying to burn? If so then you should be able to create a USB drive with OSX on there to rebuild, depending on the age of the MBP you may even be able to just do it via the UEFI.

Or you can follow these instructions on how to make a bootable installer USB key https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Haroon Mustafa

I think it is OSX. That wont work. The OS is on my PC, a windows PC. I cannot get in to the MAC because it is completely ruined. I bought it of eBay because it has certain faults.

I am sure it can be fixed lol

any ideas then?

heres a run down of my situation

£40 Mac Probook

Needs to be re imaged to fix several of its problems.

i have an image on my Windows PC

I need to some how get that image on to any form of removable media that can hold 5GB

then re image the MAC

AND USE :D

Haroon

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Then go for the dmg2iso link I posted earlier to convert to iso format and give that a try.

Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  7. Haroon Mustafa

I am trying to use dmg2img however after following the instructions and using the commands needed i am getting this error

ERROR: Can't open input file C:\Users\Haroon\Downloads>X:\OS X Yosemite 10.10.dmg

think i might be going through it wrong

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So first thing first, you're probably getting an error because of the spaces in the file name, I would rename the file to OSX.dmg and try that again.

Secondly, you may find it's having an issue if you're trying to pull this over a network, some programs don't like files stored on the network and bomb out, copy it locally and try again.

Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  9. Haroon Mustafa

Thank you SimonD

I have changed the folder and image name. Also, i am not locating the file over a network.

this is the command i am using
    C:\Users\Haroon\Downloads>dmg2img "X:\OSX" "C:\Users\Haroon\Desktop\Save"

the error message remains similar
    C:\Users\Haroon\Downloads>dmg2img "X:\OSX" "C:\Users\Haroon\Desktop\Save"

dmg2img v1.6.5 (c) vu1tur ([email protected])

ERROR: Can't open input file X:\OSX

Any ideas?

Thanks

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What is X:\?

That's referring to a drive letter of some type.

11. Haroon Mustafa

X:\ is the drive where the MAC dmg file is.

Is this not what i am supposed to do?

Thanks

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So it's either a USB drive or a Network drive, I have to admit to never seeing a local drive letter that high up the letter chain.

If I were you I would copy it to your C: drive and give it a try again.

13. Haroon Mustafa

The X drive is my 1TB HDD used for storage. I'll paste the OS X in my C drive and change the commands.

I am putting the iso img i convert on to my desktop.