Small Business Server Anyone??

Discussion in 'SBS' started by zimbo, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, is there going to be a few SBS questions posted? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LOL maybe!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

SBS is very popular here on the Gold Coast, as this is a relatively small community and the size of the businesses here reflects that. I have also used SBS 2003 at home for about two years and it has been well behaved for me. However I have seen things go awry and it is true that troubleshooting can be difficult. I remoted into a friends customers SBS box to check it out the other day, and there were more errors in the event logs than I have ever seen in all the computers I have worked on over the years put together :eek: That needed a complete re-installation to fix it.

There are pros and cons but on the whole I like the product and will continue to promote it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

bumping this back up but Z what was this all for? or should of been for?

5. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

I have about 20 clients all with SBS, have to start migrating them to new servers soon....

Has anyone any resources on migrating exchange and user accounts for SBS... I know I've got my migration tool and am looking forward to the migrations. Should have the hang of it by the end of the year :)

I keep meaning to do the exam, I was surprised to learn that on the Microsoft Partner accreditation MCSE gets you 3 points while 2003 SBS gets you 25 points. Very strange..

Gaucho

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I have it along with std server installed in VMware.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Two posts dragging this post up from the dead.... I did the same when I was a newbie on the forum, read all the posts that start from year zero :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Sparky

I take it you are migrating an old SBS to a new SBS?

If so if you map a drive from one SBS to the other (for authentication) you can then use the AD migration wizard and mailbox move wizard. Job done 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

Sounds easy enough, ...famous last words :)

I thought I was going to be setting up a new forest, creating trusts, then using the wizards to migrate the mail and AD.
    Will be doing my first within the next 2 weeks so wanted to document the first one anyway and most will be migrations to new 2003 SBS servers. Most of the servers are getting on, using up the last 600mb of their
    10GB C drives, etc...

Thanks

Gaucho

PS: Sorry this post was on first page of SBS section and that is what I'd be most interested in as I use it every day.

10. Sparky

You cant trust domains in SBS but if you map a drive it means the SBS is authenticated onto the new domain and then you can run the migration wizards.

You may have problems moving the computer accounts onto the new domain so you will have to take them off the old domain and then add them to the new one manually.

11. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

No trusts, mmm

So just setup new domain, exchange, accounts, permissions, map drive and then move data and mail boxes, redirect ports to new server. Done :)

Thanks

Gaucho

12. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Used SBS in my last job. Great for when things go wrong, re-run the wizards and job done!

Though did encounter a few times when engineers didn't setup SBS the correct way and when it goes wrong it goes worng... wizards don't fix it!

Great product for small businesses. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  13. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

I used do that with admt

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  14. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Use sbs very often.
    Don't use exchange at all because i like more linux as a mailserver.
    I started using sbs after i pass the 70-282 exam.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  15. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

IGNORE THIS POST

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'll try :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Installed and supported a few SBS boxes, did one this week on my own, two pc's, data migration, email set up and in the end I VM'd their old server due to their business app and now runs even better VM'd

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  18. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

My friend's uncle wanted to set up a new network with new a server and workstations for about 15 users and he decided to get me and my friend to do it even though we had no experience in deploying a network. Luckily it was SBS 2003 and a book was sufficient to get everything up and running. Nice spending money as well. Once it was completed I found a new respect for networking people.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  19. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

yeah, I look after a SBS server and 26 users (remotely, customer site) create users, computers delete users, patching, and general admin stuff. Its a joy to work with as apposed to the 90+ servers on our own company network!!

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA