Problem Slow Web Browsing

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Johnd76, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi folks,

I am having a problem with 1 of my laptops, the screen broke so i set it up on my tele.

for a while the laptop web browsing was great, but for some reason over the past week it has been very very slow, even to the point that i had to write this on my old laptop!!

The thing is the laptop is left on all the time, could this be a problem?

Im using Windows 7 Ultimate....and firefox

any ideas on what could be the problem? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

CCleaner

3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

agreed, and chrome

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not be a complete ar5e here but if you reboot the laptop is the browsing speed ok and then it slows down over time?

In other words, have you tried rebooting it?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Tried the re-booting option, still was slow....

6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

will give that a go and see what the result is

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you should always clean your temporary files and get rid of cookies etc after being on the internet. Temp files etc can cause it slow down.

I always use ccleaner after everytime on the internet. If you are using internet explorer select c: drive and right click > properties > disk cleanup and use ccleaner too.

If this does not work check for viruses just in case.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I suppose you have looked at spyware, botnets and other malicious software?

If its firebox could it be a broken plugin have you tried firefox in comparability mode?

I have also had java mess up on me several time coursing firefox to memory leak like crazy (something that will soon be a problem of the past with the new separate processes for plugins feature that's in beta) , a uninstall/reinstall of java solved that one. Also disable java and remove it if you don't need it.

That isnt really a solution, rather avoiding the issue. He said that it used to work, therefore there must be a coarse

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  9. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Used CCleaner, looks to have done the trick.......for now

CHEERS :)

10. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Ok folks, an update...........the problem is back!!

scanning for viruses at the moment (using Windows Security essentials)

Tried the compatabilty mode ( no joy!)

also disabled the 2 most update to date java plugins (same result)

anyone got any other ideas?

11. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

slow as in broadband is slow or slow as in your computer is slow?

have you tried defrag your HD if its your computer that is slow (i.e. slow booting up, slow opening programs) or if its slow web browsing as in takes ages to load a website than its your internet, are you using Wireless or wired ethernet?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Have you tried creating and logging in as a new user, there could be allsorts of rubbish attached to your user profile if spyware and viruses have gotten onto the machine.

Also I would recommend doing all your scans in safe mode as well (have you used malwarebytes as well, seems to work for people who ask me about this sorta thing the majority of the time).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

run CCleaner again. then do a quick scan with malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Try running HijackThis and see if anything shows up that shouldn't. don't forget to turn off your system restore reboot then turn back on if any of the scans find anything.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  14. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Did a scan and Security Essentials found 1 problem, soreted that and now it seems to be running more like it was

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

15. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi folks

Problems again with the wireless, plugged in the ethernet cable and BOOM! was back as it used to be

could there be a problem with the wireless in the laptop? if so, its it a simple thing to fix or best not to bother?

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

try changing the channel on your wireless router. Might be intereference.

17. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

thats 1 thing i havent done, will let you know how it goes

18. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Ok changed the channel, seems to have worked! but i have said that before, so lets wait and see

19. Carman

Carman New Member

Its amazing how much difference changing the channel can do. I had similar problems and as soon as I changed my router from automatic channel selection to one I manually chose it immediately fixed things. Its often a quick fix that is overlooked. Automatic channel selection works for some people, but in my experience (or at least on the BT Home Hub, which is a big pile of crap anyway..) manual is always the way to go.

You can run various programs to scan for any networks that might be present in your house and tell you which channel they are operating on - Netstumbler for XP or Vista Stumbler for Vista, and I believe also Win7 now.

Make sure you have a google about wireless channels, and how they work (if you're not familiar) - essentially they overlap, so you need to take this into consideration when choosing the optimum channel to minimise interference from neighbours.

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCP, CCNA, MSCE
  20. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Its the BT home hub i have and its working fine now......thanks for the help guys