Slow Printing help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Baba O'Riley, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

They do make nice brown sauce, i'll give 'em that :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Thanks guys. I have to say that for £70, I'm dead happy with my HP all-in-one as I only print out about one sheet a week at home and scan a document about once a month. There's no point in me spending any more.

I completely agree about the bloated software though, although HP doesn't seem to be as bad as Epson for bloated, high overhead, unnecessary guff.

I'm going to have a go again tonight with it so I'll see what happens.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Baba O'Riley

OK, I uninstalled all the crud and let Windows reinstall the drivers which didn't fix it.

Sorry Clyde, I disabled everything in MSConfig and the PC didn't recognise the printer. That's as far as I've got so far. When I get more time I'll try it disabling one option at a time.

4. patientx

patientx Nibble Poster

What you have said obviously points to one answer, your old boys cheap and nasty machine has a hardware fault or it could be the machine has basically reached it's sell by date so to speak. As christmas is only around the corner, you could buy him the latest all in one Epson cx3600 printer. I have never had a problem with this printer, but if cash is an issue, check ebay or the internet for a budget price all in one printer that has had good reviews, or invest in a good reliable printer only.

cheers

Stevie

Certifications: Comptia A+,Network+ MCSA.MCSE
    WIP: Ccna, Cwna, Ceh.
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

For what it's worth, I installed a 3-in-one HP for a customer last night, and it took bloody ages (guts of half an hour, from a 52x drive) - I suspect they may not be the best designed pieces of kit, as going from this Thread and my experience of installing this one (although I did not print from it in the customers house)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Baba O'Riley

Actually, I'm not that's the case as it prints fine directly from the scanner. As for gettting an Epson, I find their software to be more ridiculously bloated than HP's. And the consumables are more expensive in my ecperience.

Jak, I know it can take bloody ages to install the things. The first thing I did with my Dad's printer was to reinstall it. 30 minutes + i reckon.

Isn't it odd that 10 years ago a printer driver would've fit on a floppy disk? just because computer storage has got bigger, companies think they have to write bigger software to fill it up!

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Exactly, and they fill it up with bundled imaging programs and rubbish that is not even as good as Googles Picassa :eek:

I am always seeing computers that are as sluggish as hell because of all the unnecessary stuff that companies like HP and Norton install and run as background processes. Good code is short and efficient. If a 15 year old kid could write Manic Miner to run on a 48K Spectrum, why can't todays programmers work like that. They seem to think the space is there, the memory is there, lets fill it up. Drives me mad :x

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Baba O'Riley

Exactly. I was playing X3 last night and it brought back mamories of playing Elite II on my Amiga. The size and scope of that game was staggering - and all on a 720k floppy disk!

9. patientx

patientx Nibble Poster

Yes your right baba, the cartridges are quite expensive, but sometimes i make do with the compatibles which are far less cheaper. Hmmm..the Elite game was something else, me and my brother use to play that game for hours.

Stevie

Certifications: Comptia A+,Network+ MCSA.MCSE
    WIP: Ccna, Cwna, Ceh.
  10. Baba O'Riley

Oops...bit a of a freudian slip there :D !