Slow PCs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnd76, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The voice stuff is on my to do list for next year. Handing over too much £££ to other companies to do that work for us.

That depends on how much spare time I have which isnt much right now! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha glad its not just me with no time! Do it mate, save your company a fortune, get a raise and spend it on the little lady, everyones a winner 8) Costs a fortune voice support doesn't it. I still quite fancy taking it as far as CCVP (assuming I'm smart enough). Those guys are the new CCIEs! Top Dollar

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It does and the support in some cases isn’t very good. Also I question the design of some VOIP phone systems I work with as they don’t always follow the guidelines from the vendor and more importantly they don’t work very well!

Just need to get a few Exchange server migrations out of the way before Xmas and take it from there. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I think you covered most of the bases there

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Registry cleaners are a complete and utter waste of time and money. I have never seen one make an iota of noticable difference to performance. Disk defragmenters are the same - unless you've only got a tiny amount of free disk space left, in which case a defrag either won't work, or won't make any difference anyway.

Want to speed up performance? Format & reinstall, install programs, then take an image. Every three months, restore that image. Job done

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have seen a difference... a negative one! Ever seen a registry cleaner clean something it wasn't supposed to? It ain't pretty.

Other than that, my experiences have been the same as yours with respect to registry cleaners and defrag. Perhaps - and I emphasize perhaps - defrag made a difference with FAT16... but not with NTFS.

"RAM booster" apps and the like are similarly useless.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Explainations please as to why defrag apps are a waste of time.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

because they don't make a jot of difference with NTFS :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. JK2447

Fair play gentlemen re: registry cleaners effectiveness being debatable. My reason for mentioning it was its use to correct invalid registry keys and therefore possibly some application settings......

I didn't mention a defrag as I agree its not as important as it used to be but I think, correct me if I'm wrong, there is still a benefit in doing it, just not as much as you'd get with the FAT's

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I never use reg cleaners I have never seen any difference either but I understand that they could cause more propblems than good.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael

You don't? Then why did you second the recommendation of CCleaner, above? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. BosonMichael

Defrag your own system and see for yourself. I haven't seen it make one iota of difference.

13. JK2447

TBH Mike I wasn't sure myself so I googled it and the consensus I found was that whilst its not much, defragging on NTFS does still make a small improvement..... perhaps more noticeable on machines that are borderline meeting minimum requirements. All that said you know your stuff so I won't argue with you my friend

14. BosonMichael

Thanks for the props, my friend. Still, I don't know everything. And, to be honest, I gave up defragging years ago when I didn't notice any real difference. Things could have changed in the last few years... but I doubt it. The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself and report back what your stopwatch tells you. Can't argue with what your eyes see for themselves! ;)

15. JK2447

Ha ha well this is it sir, only believe it if you see it ha ha If only that were true, I deal with so many people in this current role I have to take what they say on good faith as there's no time to check myself...... fingers crossed I'll change roles after Christmas. For what its worth I too stopped defragging a long time ago also

16. greenbrucelee

I use ccleaner to get rid of the temp files and cookies that the one in windows and the browser ones miss out. I have used the reg cleaner in it in the past but never saw any benefit from it.

17. BosonMichael

Umm... you do know that there are features in Windows and the browsers that do all that for you, right? :biggrin Just checking.

18. greenbrucelee

Yep but I dont think it works aswell as ccleaner though.

19. BosonMichael

Method A: deletes cookies
    Method B: deletes cookies

:blink

What am I missing here?

20. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

I agree.

On the PCs here I have a consistent setup so there are not loads and loads of apps (which does slow stuff like said above and a fresh install is good here). I find that all the security patches / AV upgrades .. that m$ (etc.) release slows them down more and more over time. So I add ram, setup VMemory to system managed, and set the display effects to minimal.

I think the patch stuff is all just part of the upgrade to a new PC strategy! :(

Spy/etc.. ware will get on PCs, mostly users running with admin rights - so scanning for that is good too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646