Slow browsing of network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

When i try open My network places then click Entire Network then Microsoft windows network it takes ages to display the domain name and then ages to display all the computers. Is there any way of speeding this up, im running a Windows 2003 server domain with xp clients. Possibly WINS i need?

Thanks,
    Jack Dunn

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

do you have a DNS server also?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yep on the DC

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the DNS of the PC pointing at the DC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yep 8)

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Jack

Whats it like when you access a share on any of the machines on your network via a UNC path (e.g. \\fileserver\share)? Faster? If there are shortcuts in the 'My Network Places' folder on the machine you're browsing from then it could be related to a bug where Windows XP tries to pre-load information about every file in the remote location. Can't remember the KB article that discusses it, but I had the problem a while back on a network and resolved it by mapping drives instead of browsking using Network Neighbourhood. There is a registry hack you can make - I've dug it out of an old folder I still had lying around (sometimes pays not to delete anything related to past jobs!). This hack prevents Windows from trawling through every file on the remote share before deciding to work:

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRecentDocsNetHood - set it to '1'
    Obviously you'll need to delete any shortcuts that are in My Network Places (if there are any) for this to work, so I'd take a not of any that are there and map drives to them instead!

From memory, I believe this problem manifested for a very small group of users who all had shortcuts to a shared music drive (it was a media company) that contained something like a thousand folders, each with two or three subfolders, containing anything from one to five hundred MP3s. It took ten minutes for Network Neighbourhood to respond!

You could also check to see whether the correct NetBIOS settings are enabled (if you aren't using DHCP options to assign NetBIOS settings to your clients, then select 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP' an see if that resolves the issue)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Sparky

Just to add are you running your DC on a virtual server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you'll find that your server is already running WINS Jack.

Bear in mind that you can also publish shares in Active Directory.. this may be a faster way of finding them than using Network Neighbourhood.

check this..

http://www.boyce.us/windows/servertipcontent.asp?ID=85

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Any reason why i can install WINS on the manage your server page then? 8)

10. Sparky

You need to install it as a Windows component. 8)

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Install it then and point your clients to your server for WINS as well as DNS.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)