Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by law123, Feb 12, 2006.

1. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Hi I don’t know if this guide has been posted before. I have used it several times and also found it good for slipstreaming other items also. I hope this is of use as you will find that if you are to install a P.C with Windows XP it save the time in installing SP2 separately. I am going to try slipstreaming the XP updates so his will save more time. I am not sure if this can be done but I will try. I will post back to let you guys and girls know if this works as my machine is very messed up at the moment and I think a clean boot would help.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You also save time by installing a version of XP with SP2 already integrated. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL

Law123, if you are interested in slipstreaming an install disk you could try including the OS, Office 2003, Adobe Reader and also any antivirus software. I’ve used discs like that before and they save loads of time. You only need to install updated device drivers and patch the PC and that’s it ready to go! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sparky if you could get us a link for that you would get me more study time at work! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I slipstreamed my XP install disk with SP2 some time back. I haven't found how to add in hot-fixes though, and unfortunately that article doesn't say!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Modey that is the idea of slipstreaming as most of us probably dont own a version of XP with SP2 already intergrated. That is the idea of slipstreaming (Intergating). I hope you understand now.

That sounds great! Sparky I will try this :)

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You got a link for that Sparky?? coz we likes linkys :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I know what slipstreaming is law, I guess I am used to having all the latest versions with the latest SP's integrated as in both my last job and current job we get CD's spammed at us by MS as soon as anything new comes out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Wish I had a link guys!

Basically a couple of years ago when I was leaving a job the guy that was replacing me brought in a CD with Windows XP, Office 2003, Adobe Reader and Norton AV all slipstreamed on it. He had even customised it so when the PC booted up for the first time it had preconfigured desktop wallpaper and start menu. He then changed the relevant licence keys and used it as a restore disc for the network. At the time he was studying for the MCSE cert (Windows 2k).

I’ve been meaning to try this myself as I support several networks all with different builds so slipstreaming installs could save loads of time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Pady

Pady Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, See Sig for HW Certs
    WIP: Network+ & MCP 70-270
  11. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

AutoStreamer will get the job done, you can get it here .

They also have a program called AutoPatcher which is nice.

Neall

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Pady provides the link that I would of
    used that site for years
    even made a DVD that gave me a menu to install XP / XP with Apps (inc Office, Adobe Writer, Visio, Project), 2k Server and 2k3 Server

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Wow - two great links! I've been wanting something like Autopatcher for ages!

And the Unattended site is great!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

great links guys- thanks :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. law123

law123 Byte Poster

16. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Update as promised at start of thread. I managed to get most hot fixes slipstreamed with Nlite.

Here I hope will be of use to some is a Link to hot fixes that you seem to have to download and install in Windows updates.

I did try slipstreaming MS office and some other programs they slipstreamed ok but did not install when I installed XP. They are on the disk and I can install them from the disk but not as an unattended install.

Help please if anyone has had the same problem.

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Excellent program!:biggrin

Thanks Neall

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member