Slightly confused

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 29, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd agree with Michael's comments on this one, do the MCDST first - thats exactly what I'm doing. I've found doing desktop support, its been useful as it allows me to understand how things tie together with my job, but also my job has massively helped with the ease of understanding the topics and details.

Personally, I found it really useful.

For the 70-270, I enquired here and elsewhere, and on my company's training supplier and it was mentioned that it is preferred to have the Net+ beforehand. It's a big step from A+ straight to 70-270 so the smaller steps of MCDST and Net+ help out.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Agreed - Quad Core

You can clock it to match the C2D anyway but you won't need to due to the fact it's got more processors.
    I wouldn't spend that much on a C2D anyway, my cpu (e6400) is running stable at 3.0ghz and it's 2.13 by stock and I have only slightly modded the volts. I could clock it to 3.2, though it would require deeper tweaking in the voltages, many users (and likely myself) don't even need to touch voltages to clock to 3.0 on the e6400

Also, when buying a new motherboard be sure to select one that's 45nm compatible - this will keep you future proof etc.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I do plan to do N+ also but I may attempt the MCDST or part of it first to get MCP status.

I have an e6400 too I just don't want to break it by overclocking.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I'm not telling you to overclock it, I'm just telling you why I wouldn't spend more on another C2D. It wouldn't break at 3ghz anyway, these things can go to 3.6+ on water cooling, 3ghz isn't dangerous for it, even on air.

Besides, they would shut down before ever getting to the "breaking point"

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Dual Core - see here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/08/dual_vs_quad/

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

GBL, you got me curious as to how much it would cost (theoretically) to upgrade my box, so I started looking at prices. I saw that the Q6600 and E6850 were very close in price ($274.90 and $272.90, respectively)... but then I saw a new processor, the E8400. Like the E6850, the E8400 is also a 3GHz 1333MHz FSB C2D... but it has a 6MB L2 cache instead of a 4MB L2 cache. And the price? $215.80! :ohmy

If you could find a similarly priced E8400 there... wow, that's quite a price difference.

EDIT: You do... but the price difference isn't as extreme as it in the US:
    E6850: £172.72
    Q6600: £154.51
    E8400: £139.82

Keep in mind that the Q6600 you listed is an OEM, whereas the E6850 and E8400 are retail boxed - I prefer retail boxed versions for the longer warranty support for a minimal cost increase. A retail boxed Q6600 would be £167.97. If you like buying OEM, perhaps the E8400 will eventually be available as an OEM version.

Sorry if I might have made the decision difficult again. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee

No you have made it easier, higher front side bus, higher clock setting and £35 cheaper for the E8400 now correct me if I am wrong but that sounds like a good deal to me :)

Thanks rep added.

8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Sorry i'm late to the party! As the others have said, go Quad for the following reasons:

1. A lot more games than you think use multiple cores (up to 2 as I recall, currently). It uses seperate paths for audio, AI, animation, etc. computations. A quad core will cover you for the forseable future as games begin to demand more cores.

2. More cores allow you to run more applications concurrently without slowdown.

And that's about all my tired head can come up with at the mo'. The C2D are already showing signs of being outdated and I haven't even go one of those yet! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. greenbrucelee

what I actually hope for is by the time its summer the yorkfield quad cores will have come down in price, but everyone has given me some good insights. Decisions decisions :D

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, yeah... except it's only 2 cores and not 4. Everyone else is quite correct in that getting a quad will protect you by giving you better gaming performance in the future... but you are justified in that the quads will eventually come down in price, and you can snag one then.

Bottom line is this... if my C2D is a great gaming proc at 1.86 GHz, just think how much better that 3.0 GHz C2D will be with a faster FSB. :)

Again, either way you go, the decision will be a good one. You can't lose, especially at the price.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I think I've made up my mind that my new build will not happen now until 2009, as i simply don't appear to need one before then - plus going on holiday this year and moving within the next year, etc.

Should be able to get blazing hardware fairly cheap by then! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

GBL, you and I are kind of in a similar situation. I am wanting to build a gaming system my self but I can't decide as to which CPU to get I am stuck between the C2D and Quad core cpu that are mentioned in this thread. I think that for me personally I will go with the Quad core because I do have a big VM lab going on here and I could use the extra power of the Quad CPU. However like Michael mentioned it doesn't really matter which one to get they're both good cpu's.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA