Slightly annoyed

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 24, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was looking forward to the new Empire total war game. I have just found out that is gonna be on steam like Half-LIfe 2 etc.

I hate steam, I think it's intrusive, cumbersome and your just asking to get a virus imo.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:x

might not get it now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Same here, don't like steam. Is there going to be a non-steam version coming out?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Dawn of War 2 is on steam and windows live... Great game! Im loving it but steam ticks me off...

4. greenbrucelee

not sure the website just mentions that it available on steam from the 4th March but I am taking from that to mean even if you buy the disc then you will have to have a steam account to activate the game.

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

really? I love steam. I bought all the HL2 games through steam. and portal. Works brilliantly for me. I maybe have a slight issue with requiring its use in some games, but as a whole package i love it.

Its no more invasive than Windows with its dial-home capabilities. I accept it, so....

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm with Fergal - I love Steam. Sure, I don't like the fact that I can't sell a Steam game after I'm done with it... but if I don't want to permanently spend that amount of money as the price of the entertainment received from playing the game, then I simply don't buy the game - it's as simple as that.

It's their game - they set the distribution rules. If I don't like their rules, I don't have to buy the game.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I also love Steam
    in fact DoW 2 is currently downloading on the wife's PC, I ALWAYS chose digital dist over store purchases
    I use EA Store, Steam and Stardock Impulse depending on who's game I'm trying to get hold of :)

I'm not sure what the 'virus' reference is to, that's a pretty far fetched idea by any standards
    From a game management perspective it's awesome
    They have a feature to enter retail keys to activate it on steam and enable download access of it, but its VERY limited, thats one thing they could improve
    I'd love to get whatever I could on there

When I rebuild a system I fire up my downloaders and all my stuff starts to stream back
    the same way my apps stream via ThinApp or Group Policy
    Life is good

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I am neither here nor there on Steam, it is a little instrusive, but only a little. Tell steam to place a shortcut on your desktop and tell it you dont want the community overlay and suddenly its just like running a normal game.

I have to admit that I prefer steam to other copy protection efforts that have gone on and I like it as a platform for both delivery (although that could be quicker) and for championing games that wouldn't otherwise get released.

GBL: What virus are you worried about on this?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. greenbrucelee

It's not really a major worry I just don't like anything thats intrusive and does tgings like monitoring whats going on etc

I would rather buy a hard copy anyway.

10. Gingerdave

Have you got it configured as standard? If you turn off the community tab in the settings and allow it to create shortcuts you never actually see the steam interface until there is a patch.

11. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Another steam fan here.

I like how you can back up a steam game, an use the back up to reinstall a game on any machine rather than having to download it again.

Plus its great for killing css noobs with my awp :)

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  12. greenbrucelee

I binned it after I finished half-life 2. I just don't like it.

13. greenbrucelee

I restarted my steam account so I could download the demo and I Must the say the new Total war is ace especially the sea battles.

There's a couple of cockups in the demo but nothing too serious, hopefully they'll be sorted by release date.

14. Gingerdave

I binned it at that point as well, I find it a lot more refined now.

15. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

If I download something off Steam, and then don't have internet, will the game still play?

I like the chat in Steam, but don't like the DRM. Suppose it keeps hackers out (ish).

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  16. greenbrucelee

not sure, I never kept steam for long enough to have a connection problem and see if a game works or not.

17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yes. You need to connect to steam for the first time in order to verify access to the game, but after that it can be run offline. Theres a heap of documentation in steam help about just this situation (after all, what about it you want to play on the move).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. greenbrucelee

I ended up giving in and getting Empire total war and must say it's the best one yet.

Its quite a lot harder than the other ones and the Naval combat makes things better. I currently hold Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, The Barbary states and am going for Spain next as they seem to be the main agressors in the game.

A highly recommended game:)

19. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Another fan of steam here. They upset a few people initially but they have refined it into a great service. I think the service "pays" for the fact it is really just a form of DRM.

Steam cloud is cool as you can save games/settings from one machine to another. I like having all my games in one list and accessible anywhere so I can have some games on the lappy, some on the desktop and some on both.

Steam even works on linux through Wine, as do alot of the games :D

Be thankful when a game uses steam instead of Starforce or Securom.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+