SLEEP!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by THXbob, Sep 29, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Arroyn is right if sleep depravation will kill quicker than starvation.

Also trip is correct about hallucinations, because your mind wanders and plays tricks on you.

I once did a 29 hour shift with no sleep in between obvousley and I had to drive home which is 18.9 miles away and it felt like I had been drinking about 10 pints of beer, I was luck that there was not much traffic around.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Ack, that's not good GBL.

The only time I halleucinated, was when I was studying for my A Levels a few years back.

I saw a bright blue cartoon-style spider and Bart Simpson dancing on my bedroom ceiling. A bit surreal, to say the least.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Who needs drugs. Save your money and just make yourself stay awake for a few days. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I've seen a documentory on Discovery on sleeping disorders. One guy had a special desease. He did not sleep at all!:eek:
    One other guy just fell asleep without any warning. One second he was talking to this man and suddenly he just fell down and slept.
    This 162 hours was a project that had to finish on a certain moment. We could not pass this deadline. So we worked (two guys) day and night to get the job done (more or less rebuilding the inside of an old house). After that I slept for 24 hours:biggrin.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The human body is designed to require sleep, so is the mind. That's how both are recharged and enabled to cope with stress. You young guys may get by without a lot of sleep now, but you will pay for it later in life. I did the same sleep deprivation thing when I was young too, and I'm paying the price now. The price to be paid is not equal the value received. You cannot burn the candle at both ends without shortening it twice as fast. It's impossible. So, while you may think you're getting by with it now, it will catch up with you.

Like Tinus, I've spent some long times without sleep. Once, when working an apple farmer during harvest time when I was younger, I went to work on Sunday morning at 7:00 and quit working Friday night at around 5:00 in the evening. I drove hyster(fork lift) for the packing operation during the day and drove truck delivering palletized boxes of apples at night. On that Thursday night driving home from Portland, Or. after delivering a load of apples I drove for more than a couple of hours with no recollection of driving. The last thing I remembered was an exit sign in the Columbia River gorge section of the highway about 50 miles from Portland and being really tired. The next thing I remember was coming to with a start, and I was out of the gorge and about 200 miles from Portland. I'd passed several towns, climbed some hills that required down shifting to climb, and couldn't remember anything for the previous couple of hours. I guess I'd driven that road so many times I could literally drive it in my sleep.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I'm 48 and still do fine with 4 hours. I once had a student age 59 who only needed 2 hours.
    How many hours do you need now Freddy?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

The World Record for Sleep Deprivation is 11 1/2 days without any form of sleep. Toimi Soini allegedly didn't sleep for over 264 hours!

While I was at Uni I went 52 hours without sleep to finish My third year project but in hindsight I probably should have gone to bed way before that, after about 40 hours I struggled to put anything worthwhile on paper. I also went 3 days without sleep backpacking round Europe, I was either stay awake or sleep on Genoa train station in Italy and probably get mugged! Sleep hallucinations are good fun though, My peripheral vision just goes to mush, I've seen bikes turn into benches and all sorts of Weird things, I can never judge distances.

I regularly did all nighters at uni, they're no fun, I just zombied out.

I struggle to function on anything less than 7 hours of sleep a night.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+