Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sandy, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

I see a few people have a wee badge for Skype... can somebody tell me what it is? And if it is any good? :biggrin

2. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Hello Sandy

Have a look here for details on what skype is.

I use it, but not a great deal and found it to be useful.

Hope this helps

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is a form of Voice over IP (VOIP), but uses proprietary protocols rather than standard ones. Until recently you *had* to use a PC for the terminal.

I have a VOIP phone, but use the standard SIP protocol, which means that I can have a standalone phone and have flexibility on how it is setup, and the quality settings.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Are these phones worth getting in your opinion Harry?

Lad at work is thinking about getting one, he uses VOIP far more than I do as he has family further a field.

I have never really looked into them to tell you the truth.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Skype rocks. Free calls to anywhere in the world. Can't beat the price. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I looked into them for two reasons. 1) Curiosity and a new gadget and 2) Work is moving that way and I have to know about it.

Whether it is worth getting depends on your phone useage. If you make overseas calls a lot (and don't want to go down the route of crappy highly compressed 'cheap' international) or if you make calls to people already on VOIP then the savings can be massive.

I make all my geographic calls via VOIP and a PSTN gateway and it is much cheaper than BT. In addition, I have a geo phone number on VOIP. The nice bit is that at the moment I pay no rental on either the number or the line. Just call costs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have been using this for quite a few months now. I like it. I use it for all of my long distance phone calls and it saves us a bundle on phone bills. I'm thinking of getting SkypeIn too because of the monetary savings.

I'd say most of the calls I make 95%+ are of such good quality that the person on the other end can't tell it's VoIP. If the call quality is bad all I do is hang up and call back to get a good connection.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Thanks all I'll take a look at it.

9. twobellies

twobellies Bit Poster

My brother has lived in spain for a year now and before skype my bills were rocketing! Now it's totally FREE!!!

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+ N+