Sky Digital Home movers

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Oct 17, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

guys I am kinda stumped on this one...I have had my Sky service since May 2005...I just recently moved to my new place yesterday...but last week I rang Sky and told them I was moving soon and they said that it would cost me £40 for them to send out an engineer to fit a dish...only if there was no dish present at me new place...well I looked at he place and there was no sign of a dish...I have now moved and I have my Sky box with me...I dont have a credit or debit card (cos they asked for this to pay the £40) but a friend is on hand to pay it for me...however I was wanting to ask is there anyone else who has this problem and is the normal thing for Sky to do? I mean isnt it bad enough we pay for packages we ask for? I mean when I moved my Telewest connection there was no charge (but I will say more about this in the Internet forum!!) same thing with my BT line (which has not been turned on) but again I have not been charged for that (only cos there is a line there otherwise it would have been nearly £80!!)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Have you ever set up a satellite dish reciever? If so you ought to know that it's a bit more involved than just making change on an internal network switch somewhere.

The company has to send out an installer, have him install a dish, run cabling to your room, point the dish at the satellite, and then make the fine adjustments to the dish to get you a maximum signal strength. It's a lot more expensive than remoting into a network switch and making a connection change. If I was the satellite company I wouldn't do it for free either.

It sounds as if you're probably getting the work done for just about cost anyway so don't complain to loudly.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well thats all good and true and your probs right cos the normal charge for installation is about £100+ and thats if u dont wana subscribe...but its funny how they give u free installation at the start of your package and then u decide to move...but I guess your right mate...but I guess I know i have no choice in the end...didnt think this would the case tho...but thanks anyway mate...just wanted to know if anyone else had any objections...

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You do have a choice. I've made that choice several times.... Install the dish yourself. It doesn't cost anything to take your old dish with you and it only takes a few simple tools and skills, and the information from the satellite company as to where to point your dish to hit the satellite.

If you don't want to do that, then you get to pay to have it moved.

BTW, free installation is called a "loss leader" in retail circles. You sell something at a loss (The installation) to get into the customer's pocket, to get him to subscribe. It's an every day business practice.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I wish I knew how to install a dish meself but cant...so will have to pay for it...I aint moving the old dish anyway...they are going to install a new one...but never mind...thanks anyway...

6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

BT will actually charge you a £58 for a change on a broadband line.

A charge which they not only dont tell you about, but will actually deny it.

This change can be as 'major' as the name on your invoice.

After which your ISP and BT will pass the blame for a few days, and wont give you anything in writing "as its not policy".

Untill finally, one of the 'brighter' people tells you that BT Wholesale are the ones that charge you.

And the icing on cake is that they will only talk to ISP's and not customers.

So it aint that bad m8 ;)

Neall

WIP: A+
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Neall I know how the whole ISP BT Wholesale thing works...i have worked on boths sides...(phone line and broadband) it was working for the phones I realised what was really going on...and so when a customer called with any broadband changing query I would ring up BT Provisions (part of Wholesale) and they would comfirm if the ISP had done what they said they would...(bearing in mind its a 48hr turnaround from ISP to Wholesale)...so if its more than that and BT Wholesale have not received anything from the ISP I tell the cust and they go screaming to the ISP...it was great actually telling them the truth cos I felt sorry for them...but in my case my phone line and broadband are with 2 different companies (BT: phone and Telewest: broadband)..so its ok...the phone line will be on in over a week and the broadband is on at the new place but Telewest say it could go off at anytime and when the engineers come round on Sat then all will be fine...and since they are both not charging me for the move its even better...:D