Sky by Broadband

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phil, May 6, 2006.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I was checking what apps were accessing the net from my PC today and came across a process, Kservice.exe, regularly contacting Sky, I did some digging and found out it's a peer 2 peer service installed by Sky By Broadband.

I was under the impression that SBB only downloaded the movies while it's app was active and if you closed it you could happily get on with other browsing activities unhindered. It turns out SBB installs the Kontiki p2p app in the background which is constantly running, has no interface and no way to control any bandwidth it may hoover up. Worse still it is left embeded in the system even after you uninstall SBB and has no other means of uninstalling it other than manually ripping out it's files and reg entries. Thought you guys might like to know if you didn't already :)

more info here http://www.nanagram.co.uk/sky.htm and http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/Blog/blogentry=000175/Blog.aspx

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

blimey, that is a bit of a liberty Phil :eek:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Yep, a complete liberty. I installed SkyBB on the day it was launched, called their customer service for some help on something and the rep told me about this. Needless to say I uninstalled it the same day (after much effort).

The BBC's new player they're trialling now uses Kontiki too. :x

I wonder, I didn't look into it too deeply at the time as I was too annoyed but does Kontiki show up in services.msc? Maybe it can be set to manual start instead of automatic.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270