Sky Broadband

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Gaz 45, May 15, 2007.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys, thinking of moving to Sky broadband from BT (mainly cos it's so much cheaper!) most likely going with the Mid package (upto 8Mb, 40GB cap, £5 a month).

Just wondering if anyone's using Sky broadband already & what they think of it?
    Cheers

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

for that price you cant go wrong... simple as that

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Gaz,

Some good bb advice on the adsl site.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

I moved from BT to Sky, the price difference between the two was my main motivation. Overall the Sky service is fine, although I do find the supplied router tends to lose the internet connection on occasions and requires a reboot. Might be my setup, but it never happened with BT. Worth the gamble though for the savings alone.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Pov - have you tried another router?

6. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

I'm led to believe Sky broadband can only be used with their supplied router? If thats incorrect, I will borrow one to try it out.

7. Darren Wright

Darren Wright Bit Poster

sky router is crap & you can only use the router they supply or you can flash the router to get the passwrods etc & replace with another router, The Sky router aint setup well to run the XBOX on either & it keeps crashing.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you look on the off topic discussions there have been some discussion on sky bb under the post of virgin broadband restrictions post.

But to cut it short I have a few freinds who have switched to sky and wish they hadnt because it sucks

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What he said...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    I agree there have been problems but its not all bad with Sky BB. In the early days problems with router deliverys, ISP migration, Tech Support & speed issues prompted bad press but all in all these are now sorted. I agree the Sky branded routers are shaky, but I only use mine for a couple of hours internet access & VPN so its good for me..

As greenbrucelee posted earlier check out my previous post for views http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16802
    Another decent site to check if you do go with Sky and have problems is http://www.skyuser.co.uk/

Good luck..
    ps - If you take the plunge and need any help setting up feel free to email me..

WIP: MCSA 2003
  11. donpisci

donpisci Bit Poster

I've had Sky Broadband since about November. The only problem was the folks that delivered it.

Other than that, I've had to reboot the router around 3 times which is nothing really.

Speeds good and even though there is a usage cap, I've not had any trouble and I've given it a lot of use!

I would definately recommend it!

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: Diploma in Business Analysis
  12. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the responses guys, think we're going to go for it purely on a financial basis - cheers for the link garyb looks a good site!

Need to sort out the lease on the house before I do anything though... :)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  13. nikolz

nikolz New Member

Well all I can say is you must work for Sky. I've been in IT 15 years and through my job I have used over 100 different ISP's. Sky is easily the worst, my own line at home is always dead until I restart the router. I can leave the machine for an hour come back and have to restart the router (even with sky bouncer installed). I have 4 spare faulty Sky routers now of which only two allow you to connect two pc's together let alone connect to the outside world. I am now changing back to Pipex (even though their support is rubbish and then charge at lot).

Ringing Sky again tomorrow to confirm that BT have checked my line again and there are definately no faults on it . . this will be the 5th router they have sent me and hopefully I should only have to use it for a couple of weeks until Pipex kicks in!