Sky Broadband

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Gaz 45, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I imagine this will turn up in the 'Recent News' section soon (suprised it hasn't yet ;)), but Sky announced their broadband packages today.

I have to say I'm pretty interested, £10 a month for upto 8MB, 40GB cap? I'm paying £30 a month to BT for less speed than that now. I should probably point out I also subscribe to Sky+ which puts me in the target punter range anyway.

Will have to wait to see their network coverage though.
    More info here

Cheers to El Reg once more

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I can't believe ;) doesn't appear as an animated smilie type thing. Shocking :D

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

its like NTL and Telewests packages. because you already have Sky TV thats why they are giving it at those prices. Me? I dont watch TV so I all I pay is Telewest for a nice fast 10MB connection unlimited usage...but fairplay to them...wonder who is next to offer "FREE" broadband...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I had a letter from Sky about this yesterday. They currently can't provide a free 2Mbs service in my area but can provide an 8Mbs service for £17 p/m with a 40GB cap. That's not bad, but I want to wait to see what the reliabilty of the service is. I would rather stay on my solid, never-any-downtime, 2Mbps service than switch to a flaky 8Mbps one.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is possible that your exchange will have LLU added in the next 12 months, so you would be able to have the 2Mbps service then.

Depends on the exchange really.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Baba O'Riley

My current ISP reckons it will be February, then I'll be able to have 8Mbps with them.

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I have never had to worry but how does capping work? :oops: :rolleyes: are we talking about webpages being loaded or files downloaded here at 40GB?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Baba O'Riley

Both! It basically includes all downstream traffic, but I've never found out if it includes upstream as well - although that would be negligible unless you're running an ftp server or something.

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

What is the upstream? Unless i am going on outdated information, i am sure it is something like 128K :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Varies a lot depending who your supplier is. One LLU operator offers about 400k upstream on one of their options.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Baba O'Riley

Generally, a 2Mbps service will have 256kbps upstream and an 8Mbps service will have 400kbps or more. You can get more of course. At work we have 1Mbps upstream for our Internet link.

12. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

not being rude, but UK is quite slow in broadband developments...

8mb ain't fast.......24 mbps ain't fast either...

In Asian places such as Japan and Hong Kong there are 100 mbps and 1Gbps stable Internet service with unlimited up/downloads, for just about the same price we are paying for our slow turtle speed internet... and we seem to be quite satisfied already : (

But of course... we can't compare ourselves with a tech city... our government doesn't want us to be like that either... just like tube trains.......and everything else - hard to compare

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

There are other factors like contention to take in to account.

Most downloads are *controlled* and rarely push your *wire* to the limit.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT