skipping over to an IT dept. near you....i hope

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mcchugs, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mcchugs

mcchugs New Member

Hello All

Before I begin, awesome forum to the gods which control it. Here is my situation.....

Been in IT professionally for about 5 years; in one way or another for about 12 :). I'm nearly about to finish my MCSA off so long as 70-291 agrees with me.

Avec Wife & Dog, I'm moving over to the UK permanently from Toronto, Canada this summer (no need to worry about visa, etc. as I have a dual-citizenship via my father). Hoping to settle in Manchester.

I'm a bit nervous about being on the job-hunt again, especially since I am leaving a tops job here in Canada, but the decision I am making is about life, not about job (work to live vs. live to work blah blah). Not sure if things are looking as rosy over there as it is here re: job market (?).

I have been a voyeur of this website for quite a while now - seems like a great community - looking forward to speaking/helping-out/asking for salvation with/from the lot of you!

see you all aboot!

Certifications: 70-290, 70-270, 70-284
    WIP: 70-291
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums... :sunny
    Leaving us Torontonians? Tell me, how will you ever cope without the Leafs?

Good luck in your new home :fol

3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Hello and best of luck with your move.

a few words/ phrases you may need to learn if you plan to move to Madchester (just for fun)

Nice One

Top One

Ey

aye

Mint

Mega (optional)

(insert your own mancurian stereotypical phrase here)

Buy yourself a parka, you'll need it.

welcome to certforums
    :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wow, leaving Canada for the UK, alot of people I know would love to migrate out of the UK to either Australia, Canada or the US :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the job hunting.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You will need to learn that no proper Mancurian supports Manchester United they all support Machester City, only people from outside Manchester support united :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

... like me! :D

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

welcome to CF but one question are you mad moving from Canada to the UK? I would love to move to Canada from here as this country is going down the pan with the clowns in charge of the country. At present migrating to a rock in the middle of the atlantic tempting.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

QFT

The only bonus I can see in moving out of Toronto is that you'll be three and a half thousand miles from the Laffs :biggrin

If I wasn't married I'd be living in Canada right now - the missus doesn't want to emigrate because of her elderly father, but you'd better believe I'd leave this shithole in a heartbeat. I like the idea of Toronto, or maybe Hamilton.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

QFT

Why not do a house swap?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

It’s unusual to hear of folks leaving Canada, and I wish you luck with the move, like other’s have said I would love to move away from this country the way its going.

Toronto or Vancouver has always been the two spots the wife had her eye on if we decided to move.

But anyway Good luck with the move and job hunting :)

P.S: So whats the job market like over there?

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  13. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  14. mcchugs

mcchugs New Member

Hey Friendly bunch.

Regarding the Leafs: Dislike Hockey. Dislike the constant press of the Leafs even more ;)

Regarding the move: The grass is always greener....however here, it is frozen for 5 months of the year. (I also would like the easy access to the rest of Europe - Niagara Falls isn't doing it for me anymore).

Man Yoo vs Cit-eH?: Sorry, I join the millions - I have been bred as a red since I can remember and I will not be able to change that allegiance.

Regarding the purchase of a Parka: Compare the weather in Toronto today to that of Manchester - then tell me who needs a Parka :)......hold on, i'll check it for you out of interest . . . . .

Toronto: -15 C, feels like -26 C with windchill
    Manchester: +9 C

I think it'll be flip-flops over Parka

Job Market: It's up, much easier to find something (mostly in the big cities) then it was 5 years ago.

Certifications: 70-290, 70-270, 70-284
    WIP: 70-291
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I hear ya, I’m a Raptors fan too :D

Yeah, but no Sun :sunny kills me. I love the heat over the cold (prefer +30 to -20 any day) but mostly grey-days is a show stopper. :ohmy

I went to London last spring, and everybody was telling me how it’s the warmest it’s ever been for this time of year. No sweaters needed, just T-Shirts and office wear… yada yada… So when I arrive at Heathrow and ask the Customs Officer about the weather. He starts telling me how “hot” it is. All happy - I walk out and just freeze! :eek: Get to the house and head out to buy sweat-shirts! 8)

No ill feelings, actually fun times - great trip… I enjoy visiting England, just got some bad advice for this trip.

Again... Good luck in the move and new life.

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Heresy! :ohmy (Go Preds!)

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!