skip a+ exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by pj, May 1, 2006.

1. pj

pj Bit Poster

How's everyone doin? Does anyone think it stupid, if doing a+,n+ to get to ccna, there is no need to go through the a+ exam as the big picture is the network certificates are the main goal?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ CCNA
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I would say it's no good being able to install and configure a Cisco router if youl can't install and configure a basic PC component like a hard drive.

I think the A+ provides a good solid understanding of lots of subjects you are likely to meet in later certs so it is definitely worth doing.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Skipping exams may expose you to some gaps in your knowledge further down the line, but as there really is no route you must take to get certified then how can you be skipping it?

If you want to be CCNA and are comfortable with the material then study up for it, if you find that you struggle then look elsewhere to plug the gaps.

I don't have A+ as I had never heard of it when I started out, but looking at what it teaches you I can see some big gaps in my skill set that a cert such as the A+ could have plugged.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

and something else is that with todays job market the chances are your first job wont be cisco hardware (ccna) related and you will have to build your way up thus will have to know hardware aswell - where A+ comes in! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

doing the comptia exams is not necessary. sure enough, most people here on certforums prefer them as starter exams, and tend to advise them (as you can see). i'm not most people. i haven't done comptia, and i have done fairly well, if i say so myself. if a+ seems superfluous to your personal cert path, then drop it.

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

That's a good point. You're unlikely to walk into a network admin position as a first IT job. You may find yourself relying on "lesser" certs to get that all important foot in the door.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i'm not doing any CompTIA exams, the first one i plan to get will be the Sec+ and that's after i finish my MCSE.
    but then i still practice on stuff like hardware etc, even if i'm not going for the cert atm cuz i know i'll need it for entry level.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Each to their own but as already posted its unlikely you will dive straight into a network support role as your first job.

In *most* cases you would start with supporting desktop and as you get more exposure to networking you can move up the ladder.

As for the A+ I would say do it if you don’t have any other IT qualifications. (either from university or college) 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs