Skillstrain - too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by squiddic, Jun 7, 2006.

1. squiddic

squiddic New Member

Hi there. I'm new here and I realise there are 4,096 posts regarding ST already, but I really need some opinions to clear my mind and decide on what to do.

After waiting over four months from the time of contacting ST through their (very limited I must admit) web site, I got a call from a lady who only used her first name (I though this was a bit informal) and said a course rep would be over to talk to me.

He arrived today and, after introducing himself using only his first name with no credentials, he started the process of explaining why he was here and why I was here and all that, and said from what I'd told him (about 20 words), that my best route would be A+/N+/MCSE.

He said he'd be filling in an appraisal aform with me, which he didn't.

So, not off to a good start.

Anyway, as the discussion went on, I started to like what I was hearing. Being unemployed at the moment and on Incapacity Benefit, I was told i could pay the course fees weekly. £17 a week is easily manageable for me and I was a bit excited when he started delving into guaranteed career placements and guaranteed exam passes with no extra costs.

Imagine my disappointment then when I've read some of the real life experiences on this forum. Hidden exam fees, photocopied textbooks to study with, uniformative and biased information from reps, no guaranteed placement, exaggeration of promised salaries etc...

I had a notion that he was more of a salesman than a rep, and the fact that it's taken them 4 months to get back to me is a bit weird.

I've been asked to call him back on Friday with my decision.

What I'd really like to know is this: Do I say 'Yes!' or 'No'?

Would self-studying be a less pressurised and more realistic way of getting about my training goals (MCSE)?

I'm at a dead-end in my life right now career-wise and probably was naive in getting carried away with all the positive stuff he was talking about. It seems like an excellent route to go down, but is it all just too good to be true?

Thanks to everyone in advance for their opinions/experiences.

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

firstly welcome to CF...

Check out Zimbo's thread on the guide to Self Study which i hope helps on your decision :thumbleft

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! I want you to give this:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread10667.html

a read. Now look at A+ first because for the next 6 months or so thats what you need to work on. Look at the costs of it and the info there. you need to decide for youself whats best in the end.

good luck!

EDIT: look like cheek showed you too! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'd check that out before doing anything. Doesn't it cost around £4000 to do an MCSE with SkillsTrain? That means you'd be making payments for four and a half years without taking into account interest. As they only give you two years (I think) to complete the course, I find it a bit hard to believe you don't have to have finished paying for the course by the time it's finished.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How does a guaranteed pass actually work?!? :blink

The only was to pass is hard work and even with a training provider you have to put in the work yourself in your own time. It can be difficult to stay motivated but the rewards (extra skills and certs for your CV!) are great! :biggrin

I would try a few other training providers before making a decision or go down the self-study route.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

mcse would take a bit of time dont u think, a better route i would suggest is A+, N+ and MCSA...if they do guarantee a job within a certain period of time, make sure u have it in writing...u can have a look around at other providers and see wot they have to offer as well

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Having read your post, I'm not sure why you are asking the question.
    You don't actually have a good word to say about them or their service, so what exactly is making you feel inclined to say yes?

But beware of reading bad press on forums etc. It's not biased as such, but bad news always gets more publicity. It's a shame, but is someone started a thread 'I'm with CompuTeach and I'm fine', I doubt if many people would read it. 'Skillstrain b*****ds stole my money!' however is sure fire ratings winner.

And don't forget, they may have 10,000 students - so reading a handful of bad posts doen't give you the full picture.

If you want to go with a training provider, shop around and go with one who answers the phone when you call, turns up in good time and makes you feel comfortable.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. pj

pj Bit Poster

As every one says you only hear the bad things about a training company. I am with Skillstrain doing an A+,N+,CCNA and to this date I have had no problem with them. When I call someone answers, when I send my assessments in they are back and marked within 3-4 days. The only negative thing I have to say about them is that their course material although fairly decent, I feel isn't indepth enough.(Mike Myers will be your saviour for this)

As for hidden fees for exams, well the way they work it is that you book your exam and pay for it and when you send them a receipt for this they reimburse you.

Also as for guaranteed passes, this only works if they feel that you have put the work in and have done everything that you can to pass.

Anyway good luck in anything that you decide.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ CCNA