SKILLSTRAIN SHOULD I or Should'nt I

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by stueyxxx, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The course material hasn't been as comprehensive as I'd hoped in places - but I'm nosy, apparently. They give you enough to pass, and when I've felt I needed to email the tutors for clarification on certain matters, their replies have generally been fast and comprehensive.

I have no complaints, certainly. I'm almost at the practical stage of the A+, but I have been easing myself back into education somewhat gingerly.

With the right blend of course material and hands-on practise (which some long distance learners tend to forget) their materials will easily help you pass CompTIA objectives. When I get to Cisco, I'll post my opinions on that also :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

I've read through all of Part A of the Skillstrain assignments. I've also been looking at numerous commercial A+ CBT (Computer Based Training) products as well as the Meyer's A+ and N+ books on the subject.

I have to say that I'm a little oncerned about the thoroughness of the Skillstrain course material that I've exposed to up to now. For instance I was re-reading the section on CPUs and the various socket and slots you find on motherboards. This section in the Skillstrain material did not contain any Tutor Marked Assignment questions on which CPU types go with what slot/socket type to reinforce your knowledge, nor did it mention CPU's other than Intel (no AMD for example). I would have expected to see questions on CPU and motherboard slot/socket types such as the following real-world examples:

"Customer A has requested you build a PC based on a AMD Athlon +3400. Below is a list of motherboards and their specifications. Which motherboard is suitable for the customers choice of CPU"

Alas there's nothing at all on this important topic yet the CBTs I've seen as well as most books cover this situation in depth. Surely I should expect more for the £2000 course fee? Or is this topic of CPU and slot/socket types covered again in more detail in later parts of the course? From what I see of the course plan documents in my pack that explain the various parts of the course, it doesn't seem so.

WIP: A+, N+