1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skills /certs other than IT ones

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adrian, Apr 22, 2010.

1. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

I have a degree in Archaeology and no professional IT experiance but REALLY want it as a career.

After tryig to find an IT job for a VERY long time I gave up on exclusivly searching for IT and broadend my sights to anything under the sun:P After an even LONGER time i managed to get a non IT job at a county council with the future job fund (governemt program to create jobs)

During my unemployment I got my CompTia A+ N+ and MCP 70-270, im currently studying for the server exams but I realise thats a bit far with no experiance so its fairly passive (I just dont want to be doing nothing).

As part of the job fund I have a budget for further training of my choice to help me....the problem is I cant find any other training that would help me!

I really, REALLY want to get into hardware, networking and everythign that goes with it from designing and rolling out a new system to maintainence and upgrades, securty ect.
    The only IT courses I can find that I havnt done are for the web design route - mark up languages and stuff like that - im not really interested in that kind of thing but I dont know what else to do.

Armed with a good CV (reviewed by more pros than I can count anymore), my certs and lots of soft skills (excellent teamwork, communication, language, math etc) I failed misserably to find ANY work in IT for over 18 months after I left uni...once my current job nears its end (in a few months) I will once again try to get into IT.

What else can I do to make myself employable in IT? Iv looked at HCL's or whatever they are called but they are like 2 years part time which is beyond me atm.....what can i spend my training budget on?

Certifications: A+ N+
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

HNC/HND/Degrees may take a while to do, but they are worth it (imo) for the future.

Anyway, other non-technical certs that you may want to would be possibly:

1. ITIL v3 foundation
    2. MOF (Microsoft Operations Framework)
    3. Prince2 Foundation

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip