Sir Tim Berners-Lee recognised for his contribution to IT

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 18, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sir Tim Berners-Lee recognised for his contribution to IT

Sir Tim Berners-Lee was recognised for his outstanding contribution to UK IT at the UK IT Industry Awards held last night at a prestigious ceremony at Battersea Park Events Arena. The audience of over 1,300 guests watched Sir Tim accept the Award via a special video message from his office at MIT.

In total there were 26 presentations at the Awards which are a venture between BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT and Computing, merging the BCS IT Industry Awards and the Computing Awards for Excellence to create one platform for the entire profession to showcase and celebrate best practice, innovation and excellence.

There were a diverse range of winning projects and organisations. These included a project that enables the virtual exploration of underwater sites (VENUS), an IT project for Comic Relief by Carrenza and a project by Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust which aims to improve patient safety by re-engineering transfusion processes.

David Clarke, Chief Executive Officer of The Chartered Institute for IT, said: “This year’s Awards have been exceptional. I was delighted to take part in the judging day and witness firsthand the quality of the winners and medallists. To qualify as a finalist is terrific, to win is an absolutely fantastic achievement, and I offer my heartfelt congratulations to all those who took part. They not only provide examples of best practice but also demonstrate how IT is enabling today’s information society from entertainment to healthcare, manufacturing to retail.”

Full story : HERE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Hmm I always wonder what the point is of a bunch of techies giving the godfather of the internet an award, i mean seriously!
      This industry would very likely not exist today if it wasn't for him, not quite sure an award sums that up

ironic that he accepts via the internet though ;)
    2. ericrollo
      ericrollo
      I think it would of existed it would just be slightly different because the internet and WWW was inevitable really.
    3. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Strictly speaking he invented the World Wide Web not the internet, telnet, gopher, email, IRC, BBS, and many other services existed before.

Kudos to him for his efforts over the years though, mainly trying to stop MS hijacking various standards !
      Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    4. JK2447
      JK2447
      I was reading this earlier this week on the BCS website. A great computer scientist by anyones standards who did some revolutionary work at CERN. I was reading this a few months ago about how the two forward slashes aren't needed when navigating the web.
    5. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Last edited: Dec 5, 2009